"Allow Overwrite / Delete Existing Files" Not Working?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

"Allow Overwrite / Delete Existing Files" Not Working?

Postby archiebald » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 am

BRU version 3.2.0.1

I have a test folder container many original and duplicate files such as;
736.ipt
736_1.ipt
737.ipt
737_1.ipt
737_2.ipt

The duplicate numbering was generated by a colleague using BRU with "Prevent Duplicates" enabled.

Now I am trying to use BRU to clean up these duplicates by removing the _1 or _2 part of the name, and I had expected that if I disable "Prevent Duplicates" and enable "Allow Overwrite / Delete Existing Files" then the 736_1.ipt file will be renamed to 736.ipt and will overwrite the existing file. When I start the renaming, I get a warning that "Allow Overwrite" is enabled but the final result is "Error, Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

Am I missing something or is this a bug?
archiebald

Re: "Allow Overwrite / Delete Existing Files" Not Working?

Postby therube » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Just worked on my end.

file_1
file_10
file_2
file_20

Replaced the 0 with "".
BRU gave me the warning, then renamed file_10 to file_1 & file_20 to file_2, overwriting the existing.

I would suspect that it may be a permissions issue?
That your colleague had different credentials then you, & you are not allowed to modify, delete, overwrite his files.
Or if the files are set to read-only (& I'd guess that with some other attributes set, similar too).
(BRU does show attributes, by default.)

Create a test directory & some files & see if that works for you.

(I'd be more apt to use a duplicate file finder to remove dups, but looks like, so long as you know that these are in fact dups, that BRU should work just as well.)
therube

Postby archiebald » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:34 am

Thanks, I'll try again
archiebald

Postby archiebald » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 am

I just checked and you were correct, these files had been set as read only - problem solved, thanks again.
archiebald

Return to BRU Support