Auto Start Number for Next Folder

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Auto Start Number for Next Folder

Postby jarhtmd » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 pm

I apologize for posting this question . . . I know it has been answered before, but I can’t find it in Help or this forum.

I have a number of folders & subfolders containing files to which I’d like to assign sequence numbers. I rename files in each folder/subfolder one at a time, continuing the sequence. I’m sure BRU could number all the files in all the folders “correctly”, but I don’t know how & there are simply too many files (8000+) & I’d have a real mess if I made a mistake.

I’d like for the number NOT to reset to 1 each time I process a folder. That is, if Folder1 files was numbered, 100 to 362 . . . I’d like for 363 to be the beginning number for Folder2 files . . . Folder3 to start with the next number based on Folder2's last number, etc . . . without my having to key that starting number (the start number will automatically change each time).

Again, I apologize for asking a duplicate question.
jarhtmd

Re: Auto Start Number for Next Folder

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 am

Hi

Just untick the "Folder" option in the Autonumber group.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jarhtmd » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Admin wrote:Just untick the "Folder" option in the Autonumber group.

In "Numbering(10)" . . . right? I've tried with "Folder" ticked & unticked . . . doesn't work . . . "Start" remains at the same number used for the last group of files that I renamed.

I'm using version 2.7.0.2

To restate what I want (I've done it with an earlier version, but forgot how).

Folder1 Numbering(10) . . . prefix . . . start 100 . . . incr 5 . . . sep _ (keyed by me)
orig file1.jpg . . . new 100_file1.jpg
orig file2.jpg . . . new 105_file2.jpg
orig file3.jpg . . . new 110_file3.jpg
orig file4.jpg . . . new 115_file4.jpg

After performing the above rename I'd like the following in Numbering(10), ready with the next sequence number for the next group of files that I renumber (either in the same or a different folder)
prefix . . . start 120 . . . incr 5 . . . sep _
jarhtmd

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Ah ok, in whch case tick the "retain autonumber" menu option.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support