How to Rename Files in a Folder w/o selecting them

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How to Rename Files in a Folder w/o selecting them

Postby rayflana » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:50 pm

This may be a stupid question, but I searched the forum and didn't find anything.

so, here's my question.....

I have numerous folders:

Images
Packing List
Pricing
Proposals

Within each folder I have 10+ files in each. What I'd like to do is rename all the Images in the Images folder with the prefix of Images - Pic1, Images - Pic2, etc....

I know how to do this but I don't want to have to SELECT the files in the folder. I want to do this at the FOLDER level, not the FILE level.

Any suggestions?
rayflana

Re: How to Rename Files in a Folder w/o selecting them

Postby trm2 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm

This will get you started while you wait for someone to respond - page 80 - 'Section #9: Append Folder Name', page 96 'Section #12: Filters'
Get the Book Free Volume I at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743.

This will teach you that and many of the other functions of this program. Over 300 pages!

And if you like the program - buy the program - support the developers - They call it a business license but
it is no different then buying a program to register it - and you end up with JavaScript capability. So when you are
ready to take the plunge, by all means dive in - the water's fine.
trm2

Postby rayflana » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm

TRM2: Thanks.... I've got all that.... and I love this program. Just hoping I can tag the folder name as a prefix to the filenames w/o having to select all the files.
rayflana

Postby trm2 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Just my 2 cents,

but the files must be displayed to rename them. BRU needs to have what you require not only appear but selected.
I don't see any way around that - the very nature of the program demands that
what gets renamed appears in the Content Pane. From there files can have the directory name applied to the prefix or suffix.
Also you probably need to turn on recursion (enable subfolders) at the 'Section #12: Filters'. If you want numbering as well, that can be
accomplished using 'Section #10: Numbering' and you can even set a 'break' point to when those numbers will reset.

But not sure why you would think that the files inside the folders could be renamed in BRU without the means of displaying and selecting them.
Yes it will take a while if you have 10,000 files to process (guessing as to why you would not want them displayed), or perhaps it is because
you want some of them renamed but not all - so you don't want to individually select files you do and files you don't. That is where possibly more
filtering needs to come in or a RegEx (Regular Expression) to match only want you want to select. Once you have that there is a menu option to only
display those files that matched. Anyway, wait for someone with more knowledge to respond.

It may also be a good idea- and I tell this to everyone - to always make your requests more detailed. -It will save time in responses going back and forth.
If you have files to rename - then provide a half dozen or more with full explanations as to want you have and what you want and provide those samples in the
format:

From ………………………………… To ……………………………………..

So do yourself a favor and provide more details - I just know that when someone responds that will be the first thing they request.
trm2

Postby rayflana » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:28 pm

TRM2.... I was just hoping to streamline some file management on my end. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The program needs to know what files to apply the credentials to.

Just wishful thinking I could get this down to 1 click! :) Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.
rayflana

Postby therube » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Set your folder...

12:Filters
Code: Select all
Files (check)
Subfolders (check)

Mask: (something that works for you. perhaps, images*, or use a regex...)
therube

Return to BRU Support