Windows drag n drop destroys timestamps - how to fix?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Windows drag n drop destroys timestamps - how to fix?

Postby flybat09 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:45 am

I looked for hours. I would think this question was asked many time before. Here it goes:

So the computer hard drive is defective.
Bought a new one.
After installing the new HDD inside the computer, I copied all the family stuff from one drive to the other.

Basically, a lot of folders with files inside, like pictures and videos.

Each folder has some descriptive name, like "Christmas 09 in Maine" for example. Inside would be a bunch of media. It doesn't matter. Just 1 file or 10. Videos or pictures or both. The contents does not matter.

The problem are the folder timestamps. When doing a straight drag n drop, Windows changes the FOLDERS date(s), specifically DATE MODIFIED.
Now all the folders in the new HDD have the same DATE MODIFIED, which is the date I copied all from the old HHD to the new one. Fortunately, Windows does NOT change this date modified in the FILES inside these folders.

I have way too many folders here. And it took a long time to copy all this. So now I am wondering how to restore the FOLDER's DATE (CREATED, MODIFIED & ACCESSED) to any date of any of the files inside. All the files inside each folder have very close DATES, so it does not matter which one it picks.

The idea is that the folders will again be able to be sorted out by the original date, or very close to it. And I would prefer to change all THREE attributes (CREATED, MODIFIED & ACCESSED), just in case, so if its sorted using any of them, it will come out the same.

I have been able to manually open ONE folder File timestamp (Special (14)). But it takes a long time to set all three and save, for just one folder.

Is there a way to automate:
1. select first folder, and go inside
2. select first available file (any file), read (DATE MODIFIED) from this file
3. go back up one level to the folder (containing this file)
4. change folder attributes (CREATED, MODIFIED & ACCESSED) to the same DATE MODIFIED from step 2.
5. save folder's attributes

repeat with next folder until all folders done....?

I think this may happen a lot, perhaps someone can point me to the solution? I could not find it.

Thank you all !
flybat09

Re: Windows drag n drop destroys timestamps - how to fix?

Postby therube » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:49 am

(Nirsoft's) FolderTimeUpdate

FolderTimeUpdate is a simple tool for Windows that scans all files and folders under the base folder you choose, and updates the 'Modified Time' of every folder according the latest modified time of the files stored in it.
This tool might be useful if, for example, you backup a cluster of folders and then restore them into another disk, but the backup program doesn't restore the original modified time of the folders.

(A smart copy program, file manager utility, will have the option to preserve date [at the least, Modified] so you don't have to go through that.
I would hope that other software, say like ViceVersa Pro ;-) would offer the same ability. [I don't know, but have to assume it does?].)
therube

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 am

ViceVersa PRO does not support that but it is a good/useful function to have :)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby flybat09 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I have just tried FolderTimeUpdate.

It does the job, Thanks for the tip! This program updates the modified time of the folder, based on the files inside. It also has an option to update the created time at the same time.
flybat09

Postby flybat09 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:26 pm

I did look into the ViceversaPro program. I would have to start over and copy everything again with this program. This would be good to know before you begin. Sometimes it is not possible to do it again. But it is something good to have for some time in the future.
flybat09

Return to BRU Support