Extremely slow start up with Vista

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Extremely slow start up with Vista

Postby Neff » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm running Vista home premium and when I start up BRU from the strat menu it takes 4-5 minutes before the GUI appears. And if I try starting it up in a directory with a right click and "Bluk Rename Here" I get a dialog box with

Error 740 whaile starting C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe

I'm guessing that something has gone wrong with the install but I'd be grateful if someone could help me sort this out.
Neff

Re: Extremely slow start up with Vista

Postby Admin » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:02 pm

I can't think what would cause that. The install doesn't actually do anything, other than create the start menu items and actually create the installation folder etc. In fact BRU will run quite happily with no installation at all.

Do you have UAC enabled? Is your antivirus interfering with it? Just some ideas for you to check.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neff » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:38 am

I have UAC enabled and I am prompted immeadiatly when I try to start BRU, it's after I've given it permission that there is the delay. I tried pausing my virus protection (Kaspersky) and that made no difference.

Is there a list anywhere that says what the error 740 means?
Neff

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:20 am

I think 740 relates to permissions. Do you get the same if you start BRU as administrator? Right-click, run as administrator.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neff » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:35 pm

No I don't because I've set BRU to run as administrator by default and I don't get that error when I start BRU from the start menu. So I guess that tells be that starting from the context menu either isn't reading the defaukts I assigned (or it's running a DLL directly or something). Is this a Vista install problem or can you just not use UAC with BRU?

On the other issue is there any logging ot anything I can turn on to track down the slow start problem.
Neff

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:53 pm

To be honest I'm not really sure what issues you'll find when using UAC since it's the first thing I disable on an Vista installation. UAC is a good idea but poorly implemented. It does sound like it's a BRU <> UAC issue since I use BRU on Vista but without UAC and I don't have these issues.

I'm not sure what else to suggest - other than disabling UAC....

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neff » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I think you can disable UAC fairly easily IIRC so I'll give that a go. So far I've not found UAC a pain, it doesn't pop up it's requests very often and when it does it's a reminder that something more fundemental is going on in the background.
Neff

Postby Neff » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 pm

I tried turning off UAC once I got home and unfortuantly it didn't make any difference - there must be some other conflict going on somewhere on my machine.
Neff

Postby Admin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:15 am

Hi,

Yes it sounds that way. UAC shouldn't *really* make any difference, since BRU doesn't really require administrative privileges, but it's always my first suggestion since UAC causes so much trouble in general.

Ok, antivirus software? What about networked or mapped drives that perhaps don't exist (not currently connected). Does anything get logged in the event logs (Windows, not BRU).

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:48 am

The only security things I have running are Kaspersky and of course Windows Defender (which is part of Vista). I've put Kasperskey in it's paused state and I've stopped the Defender service and it still take ages before the BRU window appears.

I can't see anything in the event viewers that is relevent anything dated todat was classified as a sucess.

(Thanks for all the sugestion though!)
Neff

Postby Neff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Are we at the end of the road as far as diagnosing the problem is concerned?
Neff

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:58 pm

It's very difficult when i can't recreate the problem, and I know that BRU isn't tryign to do anything fancy. All it's doing is building a list of files and folders and drive letters, nothing more. I'm afraid i can't think where to start looking.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:15 pm

There is a mapped drive that points to a NAS with all my media files on. It wouldn't be scanning everything that's on there would it?
Neff

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:28 pm

no it won't be scanning, but you could try removing the map and try again.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:39 pm

I will try that when I get home
Neff

Next

Return to BRU Support