Move text before symbol

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Move text before symbol

Postby dighito » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi, i need little help :(

this s a list of file to rename, i must put artist before a title, Is there a solution? PLS!! help me!
Sorry for bad english
dighito

Re: Move text before symbol

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:29 am

Please search the forum, there are plenty of examples of swapping text. There's even an example in the help file. You can easily do this using a Regular Expression.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dighito » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:19 pm

i search but don't find topic | :(
dighito

Postby dighito » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:47 am

:(
dighito

Postby GMA » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:41 am

Hi, dighito:
The usual way to do what you need is using RegEx (1) as follows:

Match: (.*) - (.*)
Replace: \2 - \1

But in this case, the double extension (".cdg.bc!" and ".mp3.bc!") is a little tricky, because the first one is considered as part of the file name. So, one solution I can think of (IF YOU'RE SURE THAT EVERY FILE HAS A DOUBLE EXTENSION) is using the following RegEx:

Match: (.*) - (.*).(...)
Replace: \2 - \1.\3

I supose there's a more proper way that I'm missing, but I think this'll help dighito for the time being.
By the way, Jim: is there a way to "lock" a double extension so it'll be treated as a single extension? (as oposed to the first one being considered as part of the file name, thus getting modified/deleted/missplaced by some operations). Maybe adding such a feature? Something like "Lock multiple extensions" (Sub-option: last 2 dots/last 3 dots/etc.)
Of course, inactive by default; because, I know, sometimes files have several dots in their filenames which doesn't necessarily mean that they determine multiple extensions. Just an option for cases like the one in this topic, where there's a common "dot pattern" in all files.
Best regards,

Gabriel.
GMA

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks Gabriel. To solve the "double" problem, the easiest thing is to operate on the whole filename, e.g. tick the "ignore extension" boxes.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support