Win Exp not match rename tree

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Win Exp not match rename tree

Postby JohnBoy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:34 am

I'm having a problem with my rename file list not matching my explorer list.

Say I manually arrange a series of numbered files in my win explorer to the order that I prefer.
XX8, XX9, XX1, XX5, XX10 . . .
When I go into the rename control panel and select the folder per above the rename tree will sort by descending order.
XX1, XX5, XX8, XX9, XX10

Is there a way to retain my preferred order during the rename process?

Sorry if this is too vague. .

John
JohnBoy

Re: Win Exp not match rename tree

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:51 am

Say I manually arrange a series of numbered files in my win explorer to the order that I prefer.
XX8, XX9, XX1, XX5, XX10

Two things here.

First, if your example is truly representative, then you just need to tick the "use logical sorting" feature in BRU.

Secondly, arranging your files manually in Explorer is always a bad idea. The seqence will not be retained if you copy the files to another drive or computer.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JohnBoy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:44 am

Thanks Jim,

Logical sorting didn't work. I think I've tried about every combination of 'ticks' . .

I am just trying to rename a batch of photos (100+) in a sequence that is - - 'logical' . . and hopefully after the rename then other systems will see the same if I do transfer or share.
Expl: before xmas, xmas day, day after xmas. In my file the photos are in the order I want, but when bringing the file into BRU they go into a numeric seq that does not match my preferred seq.

I simply want to rename my files that I have manually sorted.

Hope that makes sense . .
JohnBoy

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:00 am

Hi,

Yes, and that's your problem. "Manually sorted" is a WIndows XP "fudge". XP uses a hidden file called Thimbs.db to remember your manual sort order. But if you copy files to another computer or drive then you lose the manual sorting. I would never recommend anyone to rely on the manual sorting feature of XP as it's too easy to lose it.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support