Definition of 'Modified New', 'Taken New'?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Definition of 'Modified New', 'Taken New'?

Postby terrypin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:32 pm

Although a long time user of the indispensable BRU I confess I've never fully grasped the meanings of some of the Auto-Date options. Just read the Help again but the penny still hasn't dropped.

I'm prompted by noting that JPG photos taken in mid summer show, for example, 20201105-123456.jpg renamed using %Y%m%d-%H%M%S set to Creation (Curr) is unchanged, but becomes 20201105-133456.jpg under Creation (Modified).

How exactly are these labels defined please? I have not modified anything. Nor have I used the 'Change File Timestamps' if that's relevant. Under 'Offset' the value is 0, so that cannot account for the difference of one hour.

In case it helps, here's how all the Auto-Date options would re-date the file:
Creation (Curr) = 12:34
Creation (New) = empty (file proposed is '.jpg')
Modified (Curr) = 12:34
Modified (New) = 13:34
Accessed (Curr) = 12:34
Accessed (New) = empty (file proposed is '.jpg')
Taken (Original) = 12:28 (6 mins earlier)
Taken (Digitized) = 12:28 (6 mins earlier)
Taken (Modified) = 12:34
Taken (Recent) = 12:28 (6 mins earlier)

Advice on correctly interpreting these would be greatly appreciated please.

Currently BRU is version 3.0.0.1 but I've just noticed I need to update.

Terry
terrypin

Re: Definition of 'Modified New', 'Taken New'?

Postby terrypin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm

I could not a way to edit the post I've just made? So here's a correction:

The example given was obviously not 'mid summer'! And as far as I can tell all files, in any month, pose the same question.
terrypin

Postby Luuk » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am

Its unfortunate, but the translators is giving this text many divergent results! If you wish CreateDate in filenames, please to use Creation(Curr).
If you wish to modify CreateDates, please to use Creation(New) with "Change File Timestamps" so there can be "new" instead of "empty".
With "Change File Timestamps" inside of "Date Created", then to move the dot outside of "No Change" and put it where you like the change, then click "OK".
Im thinking maybe you like the dot in "Delta" and changing the second box to "1" for "+1hour" and maybe "Negative" for "-1hour" ?
Luuk

Postby terrypin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:07 pm

Luuk, Thanks for replying. Sorry if it's a language barrier, but I don't understand your reply!

In summary, I'm asking:
1. Why is Modified (Curr) = 12:34 but Modified (New) = 13:34?
2. A wider question: where can I find the exact definitions of the Auto-Date options?
terrypin

Postby Luuk » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Greetings Terry. Many apologies for the bad explanations, here is Vol I manual...
https://www.s3.tgrmn.com/bru/other/Bulk_Rename_Utility_Operations_Manual_by_Tim_Mongeon_USA.pdf but remember that Google Docs will not conduct the images, and the text is not always to be exact. The explanations begin on page 76, but the main word in english is "conjunction". It means like being married, so must always stay together. Im try to explain it better like the math...

Modified(Cur)==12:34, .because 12:34==(FileModifyDate)
Modified(New)==13:34, because 13:34==(FileModifyDate) + (changes in "Change File Timestamps", "Date Modified")
................................................... (12:24) ...... + (+1hour) .... because dot in "Delta" and "1" in the hour box.

Modified(New) must stay married to (changes) in "Change File Timestamps" or the divorce makes "empty" dates.
Luuk

Postby terrypin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi Luuk,

Many thanks, now understood - I think!

In my case I was sure that 'Change File Timestamps' was not relevant, but plainly it was, even though apparently disabled.

That looks a great manual. I'll set aside time to study it properly.

BTW, was I right that there is no way on this forum to edit a post once it's sent?

Terry, UK
terrypin

Postby Luuk » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:19 pm

Greetings Terry.. Im not even noticed that checkbox before, because using another version. Nice catch! Im calling like a glitch?
Yes, no editing because the noobs keep making counterfeit posts, then coming back to edit with all the spam!
So now its illegal the editing, because the spam is much easier to find when its only in the new posts..
Nice work!
Luuk

Return to BRU Support