Error: Too many files selected

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Error: Too many files selected

Postby le0p » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 am

Hi, my first post to this forum.

I enter my directory and I high light a group of files to be renamed. No renaming parameters have been set. I simply right click on the selected files, and then choose "Bulk rename". Instantly I get a BRU error message that says "Sorry, too many files selected".

I've looked around this forum and yes others have reported this problem. For some it was fixed by shortening the path length. That fix does not fix my problem. The whole path is short, but I reduced it to extremely short, and the error still happens. But 24 hours ago I was highlighting 3500 files, and all was working OK.

I have tried reducing the number of files, but it's not until I get down to about 50 files that the error goes away and all then works OK. 3500 yesterday, and now only 50 today!
Rebooted multiple times : - no help. Yesterday and today the files are mp4s, all having the same number of characters in the file name. (The files are all short security camera clips). Plenty of unused RAM. Turned off all background apps that I could. Moved to a different HDD. Running Win10 64b

Has anyone got a handle on this issue?
le0p

Re: Error: Too many files selected

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:24 am

Hi, there is a limit on the number of files that can be selected when using Bulk Rename Here in File Explorer, the limit also depends on the path length of the files.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support