Renaming 2 set of corresponding files to the same name

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming 2 set of corresponding files to the same name

Postby Unholy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello guys,

I am looking to rename a list of files that have similar names to another list files' names (that have different file extensions) on Win10. I would like those two sets of files to end up with the same exact names as a result. A file on the first list already have similarly named file in the second list. For example, on file on the first, as an illustration may be called abcde.png, while the corresponding file on the second list might be called zxy_abcde_12345.txt. In the end, I want both files to have the same exact name, so for exemple, in the end, one named abcde.png and the other abcde.txt (or any name that would be the same for both corresponding files, but that would retains a part of what originally identified those 2 files.

There isn't a set pattern for the names, so simply using the trim function from the start and the end of the files' names will not help (not by itself anyway).

Other than BRU, there are batch (.bat) files, but I could not find a list of command that would do what is need here. I may very well be wrong though!

If anyone has any idea of what can possibly be done, or anything info that could help me, I would really appreciate the help!
Either way, thank you very much for your time! Take care.
Unholy

Re: Renaming 2 set of corresponding files to the same name

Postby Unholy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Sorry for the misspelling in the title of the post :P I don't see an "edit" option...
Unholy

Postby Luuk » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:16 pm

The first thing you will have to do, is to discover some rules for what does define 'similiar'? Without any set patterns, then it would be impossible to write a batch or to conduct anything else. There can be many different rules for that one example, but Im not to guess about how both of the lists do look like.
Luuk

Postby jameszandecki » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:06 pm

Have you found a solution to do this in one stroke? I thought I was able to accomplish this in the past but if I did I can't remember how I did it. The only solution I have come up with is to use a filter on the extension, rename the files with that extension and then change the filter to other extension and rename those files to get the desired result.
jameszandecki

Return to BRU Support