change timestamp of multiple files by reverse order

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

change timestamp of multiple files by reverse order

Postby dj4ngo » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:37 am

Hello,

i tried all different kind of options when renaming the timestamp but i did not find what i was looking for, so maybe there is a trick.
Is it possible to reverse order the timestamp in a sequence of files? for example if you saved files 01, 02 and 03 in order and 01 has the earliest creation date and 03 the latest, can it be changed so 03 would be earliest and 01 latest automatically?
dj4ngo

Re: change timestamp of multiple files by reverse order

Postby Panchdara » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:05 pm

Specific examples please.
Panchdara

Re: change timestamp of multiple files by reverse order

Postby therube » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:26 pm

If the actual timestamp does not matter - only the sequence, then you could use the UNIX touch command.

So if you had the files; a b & c, created in that order, you could do something like:

touch c
touch b
touch a

& that would set the timestamp to current date/time & with enough of a pause between touches (or type-ings), your date sorted files would end up in a; c b a order.

If you wanted to retain the existing date (& basically the same time), you could still do something like that with touch, but it would be more involved to "code".

A (very) simple batch file (pseudo-code):
Code: Select all
for i in (b c a)
do touch %i
wait 1
next i

If it's only a few odd files, now & then, a file manager (that has a date/time change feature) or a GUI based "touch" program might be more appropriate.

Heh, something like, (Nirsoft's) BulkFileChanger "is a small utility that allows you to create files list from multiple folders, and then make some action on them - Modify their created/modified/accessed time, change their file attribute..."

'Date/time sequence mode' option. When it's turned on, BulkFileChanger will set a different date/time value for every file, and the 'Add' field will be used to add additional time interval for every file.

For example, if you set the modified date/time to '07/07/2011 10:12:15' and the add value is set to 1 second, the modified time of the first file will be set the '07/07/2011 10:12:15', the second file will be set to '07/07/2011 10:12:16', the third file will be set to '07/07/2011 10:12:17', and so on...

The order of the files is determined according to the column you click. So, if for example, you click the filename column and then use the 'Date/time sequence mode', the date/time values will be set according to the filename alphabetical order.
therube

Return to BRU Support