File | Open filename.bru does not load Path

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Postby therube » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:22 pm

- if on the prior program Quit the "saved path" was elsewhere.

Heh. I'm not sure how, where, why, a "saved path" might or might not be saved.
But lets say...

You open BRU & go to C:\TMP & rename some files.
And you then set the "Path" line to nul & set the "Tree" to Computer (i.e., no Path is set, nor is Tree pointing to any "directory").
If that gets "saved" (which I'm not quite understanding how or where or why that happens to get "saved", i.e., there is no specific action to specifically do anything in that respect, but it might happen)...

& if you then reopen BRU - in that state
- & then you File | Open filename.bru, that action will not load the Path= from filename.bru - even though it is specified in filename.bru.

(Similarly, I'm not understanding why subsequent opens of BRU, that is "Bulk Rename Utility.exe" with no parameters, seems to open the (last used ?) .bru file - even though you didn't specifically tell BRU to do so?

I guess part of that has to do with the Windows Registry & bru... Settings, last_path_selected ?, which does get set on Quit. But then why does filename.bru actually load on the next open instead of last_path_selected?

Also likely playing into it, in the .ini, while Favourite Path= says "Path", it actually points to a path+name, i.e., filename.bru rather then simply the path where the name is stored.)

So...

If I change Favourite Path= from a path+name to only a Path, then last_path_selected is used on then next program load.
(And in that regard, in the Tree, "Computer" [I'm on Win7, if that matters] sets last_path_selected to nul - which is fine.)

Complicating matters...

If you (manually) change Favourite Path= from a path+name to a Path (only) - in that form of PATH\
- with a backslash, then File | Open will then fail.

If you (manually) change Favourite Path= from a path+name to a Path (only) - in that form of PATH
- with no trailing backslash, then File | Open will then works, opening Path.

But, if you then File | Open filename.bru, on Quit, Favourite Path= gets changed from Path (only) to path+name, with that name being filename.bru. And with that, on subsequent program startups, it then automatically loads Favourite Path=, i.e., at that point, filename.bru (rather then last_path_selected [from the Windows Registry]).

Heh.
therube

Return to BRU Support