Randomizing, Numbering and Saving the pairs/randomization

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Randomizing, Numbering and Saving the pairs/randomization

Postby Floppa » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:50 pm

Hi everyone, thanks so much for this amazing software, it really saved my project !
Now I'm facing a few dilemmas, I need to:
Rename 6,000 different files with a new randomized order and have them numbered, easy peasy, I have my BRU ready to rename, but I need to save the same pairs for 2 additional folders, which contain the same files but with different extensions, so I need to make the exact randomization and numbering, Example:

After randomization and numbering it ends like this;

OldFile_A.jpeg - NewFile_01
OldFile_X.jpeg - NewFile_02
OldFIle_T.jpeg - NewFile_03

Now I need to apply this exact logic of randomization and numbering to 2 different folders, with the exact source name but different file extensions so they match after the renaming.

OldFile_A.txt - NewFile_01
OldFile_X.txt - NewFile_02
OldFIle_T.txt - NewFile_03

is there a way to do this? I was looking at rename-pairs but couldn't figure out how to export my list, Any help is appreciated!
Floppa

Re: Randomizing, Numbering and Saving the pairs/randomization

Postby therube » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:31 pm

backup first

note that each of your directories would need to have the same corresponding set of files in each, & sort of same also needs to the same

2:Name -> Remove
7:Add -> Prefix: NewFile_
10:Numbering -> Suffix, Pad: 2

If you don't want any file extensions, set that in Renaming Options

I'd think that should work.
Make sure it looks good.
Test on a small subset of files.
Let it rip on the full set.

(& you have backup in case it goes bad)
therube

Postby Floppa » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:58 pm

therube wrote:backup first

note that each of your directories would need to have the same corresponding set of files in each, & sort of same also needs to the same

2:Name -> Remove
7:Add -> Prefix: NewFile_
10:Numbering -> Suffix, Pad: 2

If you don't want any file extensions, set that in Renaming Options

I'd think that should work.
Make sure it looks good.
Test on a small subset of files.
Let it rip on the full set.

(& you have backup in case it goes bad)

Thanks for your reply!, that's exactly what I've been doing, what I need to do is to Randomize, and save that same randomization for other 2 folders (which yes, contain the exact same files but with different file extensions) so I end up with 3 new folders with new names/numbers that match the same file on the other folders.
Floppa

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:45 am

Randomize then before actually applying the renaming, export all to Excel or spreadsheet (select all files and then Ctrl+C).
Paste in Excel spreadsheet and then create 3 import/rename files for the 3 folders.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5661
Or could also do the randomization part in Excel.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Luuk » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:00 am

Im was going to say much like Admin says, and if you have the excel.exe, I do think its probably much easier that way!
Then you could just type 1-extension somewhere, and it invents the whole rename-pairs file for you automatically.
But without having the excel.exe, I was going to say like...

After randomizing the files and before renaming, you can right-click them for Clipboard Copy, Filename + New Filename + Ext.
Then you could paste a list of all your Now-names and New-Names into a text-file, that would look something like...
Code: Select all
SomeOriginalFilename.txt   NewFilenameWithRandomOrderNumbering
AnotherOriglFilename.txt   AnotherNewFilenameWithSameSettings

After saving this file, then you would click "Rename" and later edit the file, to make copies for different extensions?
So like you could replace all .txt ===>.jpg, and tabs ===>| to invent a rename-pairs file for jpegs looking more like...
SomeOriginalFilename.jpg|NewFilenameWithRandomOrderNumbering
AnotherOriglFilename.jpg|AnotherNewFilenameWithSameSettings

So then you could name it something like jpegs.txt, and then load it into the bru with "Actions, Import Rename Pairs".
But Im thinking to invent the rename-pairs is much easier with the excel, especially because it can also randomize by itself.
So you could paste the filenames.txt into 1-column, and it could invent all 3 rename-pairs with different extensions automatically.
Luuk

Return to BRU Support