Change timestamp based on date in filename

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Change timestamp based on date in filename

Postby Bruster » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Hi. First time poster. Thank you, BRU, for this amazingly useful utility!

Is it possible to bulk update timestamps based on a timestamp string that is part of each filename?

I've got a set of files, all following the identical naming convention: Filename (yyyy-mm-dd).ext

whatever (2001-03-04).docx
something else (2011-11-194).docx
etc etc etc etc etc (2003-09-30).docx

I'd like to be able to update the timestamp based on that last string, which is always in that position in the name. I don't care about the minutes and seconds.

BRU's Change File Timestamps dialog doesn't offer options for that kind of thing. That leads me to think it would be a relatively complicated thing to do. But I thought I'd ask. Some regex trick, maybe? (I ask that knowing virtually nothing of regex myself. :wink: )

Thank you!
Bruster

Re: Change timestamp based on date in filename

Postby Luuk » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:37 am

Greetings Bruster.
I did look through both of the manuals, but it does seem that RegEx(1) cannot communicate with "Special, Change File Timestamps".
So while the RegEx(1) can easily match and edit any of the dates in your names, it cannot give them to the TimeStamp changer.
The free exiftool.exe does easily conduct any changes like this, but Im guessing that "194" for "dd" is just a typo??
Luuk

Return to BRU Support