case (4) doesnt work

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

case (4) doesnt work

Postby mauve » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:44 am

everything else I've tried seems to work, all except case (4).
I choose to convert all to lower case, even in preview I can see they are properly changed, and I get the successfully processed message too. but they remain the same.
mauve

Re: case (4) doesnt work

Postby mauve » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:57 am

nevermind it's because it's exfat. workaround: I first added a prefix character, rename. then remove that first character and set all case to lower, rename.

hope something like this can be automated if bru detects exfat file system.
mauve

Postby therube » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:26 pm

In my case, Win7, (USB flash drive) exFAT, both 4:Case & 11:Extension are changing the filename case/extension as expected.

What is your exFAT device?
Might it be subverting your wanted case change (if it happens to be a NAS)?
therube

Postby Wobster » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:01 pm

Agree with Mauve on this one. I've been updating a number of files where I need to change the case, and these are on a SanDisk 1TB SSD which has been formatted with exFAT

When I set all the parameters required - using both (a) [Filters (12)] to include exclude files in folders/subfolders and (b) [Case (4)] to change the case at Title level with a selection of exceptions that are separated by Colons.

I've tested a number of times and found:
- The changes I require are reflected correctly in both the Name column and the New Name column which has the changes shown in Green
- The Preview has been checked to ensure that the changes to be made are correct also
- The same issue occurs whether I select the Rename button on the Preview window or the Main window
- The warnings for the change are presented correctly on the screen as 'about to be processed' and with the correct number of changes as presented in the previous screens
- The Rename Operation Complete windows indicates that the items were processed (with green OK next to all items that should have changed but didn't)

Then... looking with either Windows Explorer or Xyplorer... I see that none of the changes have been made

Have tried to stop and restart the tool... but have the same result

I don't know if the subdirectory element is causing this to not work. I've previously had - on this same drive - the case changes occur fine when all the files are in the same directory... however with this number of files it is impossible to put them all into one directory. Need this to work at subdirectory level as well

Not sure how to implement Mauve's solution - I have around 1550 titles to change and can't fix this particular problem in the way suggested

Any thoughts most welcome
Wobster

Postby Wobster » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:06 pm

Ps. Forgot to mention that am using the 'Title' option in [Case (4)] area - maybe it relates to the processing of the Title case change capability?
Wobster

Postby Wobster » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:51 pm

Additional note: Have done some additional testing at various levels and using other functions. Found:
- See also now that [Replace (3)] is also not working
- Decided to activate the BRU Log and found that it is indeed recording that it is making the change, but is in fact not actually making the change at the file level
- Then moved a small selection of files onto my main hard drive formatted as NTFS... and all the changes worked flawlessly

Soooooo... seems - as Mauve indicated above - that it is due to being on exFAT drive. Only workaround I've found is that I have to copy ALL files back to my main hard drive and then perform the changes on that drive before copying them back to the SanDisk. Ah well.... that is going to take a little while! Would it be possible to raise a development request to get this particular issue resolved?

Ps. Other than the exFAT issue... this software is really excellent and a credit to it's creators. Many thanks for all the work that you've done to get this in place. Hopefully if you get a chance to fix the exFAT problem then it will make the tool even better. Cheers
Wobster

Postby therube » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:21 pm

Working on my end.
(Now, this particular drive, is absolute trash - absolute, but I just re-formatted it exFAT, copied whatever to it, & case did change.)

therube

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:01 am

This seems to be an issue with some drives that are formatted as exFAT, not related just to BRU but to exFAT/Windows in general. Changing just the file case of a file does not always work.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby therube » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:26 pm

therube

Return to BRU Support