File extension help

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

File extension help

Postby TheTrackBallGuy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:28 pm

Just realized I posted this on the wrong board, maybe an admin can delete my old post it's on the BRC board, same question in the body. Here's my question:

Hello all, I'm kinda stuck and was looking for a bit of help. I got a new emulator gaming device and I messed up loading some roms to it. I have two sets of Sega Game Gear roms, some with a .gg (lowercase extension) and some with a .GG (uppercase extension). I've been trying to separate the two files all morning in Windows by simply selecting the different extensions (upper and lower case) with no luck. Then I thought why don't I just change the lower case game gear extensions to something different in BRU with the replace/with feature, something like replace .gg with .gg7 and then use the Windows find feature to move them into separate folders, do what I need to do, change the extension back to .gg and move them back to the main folder, but the replace/with feature won't recognize the extensions at all. I've been using BRU for years and I thought that was possible, but I guess it's not. Anywho, that's my current dilemma, I hope someone can help. Just in case you're curious or it's needed, I'm using the most current version of BRU and I'm using it on Windows 10. Thanks!
TheTrackBallGuy

Re: File extension help

Postby therube » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm

In BRU you can set:
Renaming Options -> File/Folder Extensions -> Rename File Extensions as Being Part Of Filename

Then,

3:Replace, set Match Case:
Code: Select all
Replace:  .gg
With:  .gg7

---

The easiest (& fastest) way to find files is with Everything.

Do a search for:

case:ext:gg
or
case:ext:GG

(That says to respect case, & look for file extension of "gg" [or "GG"])

Found, you can then do with them what you want.
.https://www.voidtools.com/
therube

Return to BRU Support