renaming a batch of files selected in Explorer

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Postby Tiesenhausen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:22 am

Hello,

I downloaded BRU fairly recently and have found it quite useful and powerful. However, I'm now up against what should be a routine operation, but cannot figure out how to do it.

In a certain folder (Windows XP SP3) I've selected about 15 shortcut links to folders in a different folder. I want to rename those 15 links by adding the same word, for example "link," to each shortcut name.

So I right-click on the selected names and up comes "Bulk Rename Here" in the shell menu. Fine. I click on that item.

But instead of opening BRU with my 15 shortcut file names in the operations menu, BRU opens in the folder to which the shortcut points, with all the subfolders of that folder in the tree in the left pane. The only name in the operations pane, the filenames to be changed, is the name of the folder to which the shortcut points where the cursor happened to be when I right-clicked.

But I don't want to change that folder name or any other folder name, I want to change the names of shortcut files in another folder.

How can I select a group of files in an Explorer window and transfer those selected names to BRU so I can change them? It may be obvious, but I don't see how to start.

Many thanks for any help I can get.

Tiesenhausen
Tiesenhausen

Postby Karapaz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:22 pm

When I connected the player 4GB to my computer using a USB cable, I can see the Ibiza Rhapsody as a drive; however, it is not assigned a drive letter, and I cant use the File > New Folder to add a folder directly within Windows Explorer. I cant load Rhapsody on the computer Im using at work due to firewall restrictions, and was trying to add some mp3 files directly through Explorer. The manual indicates that I should be able to add subfolders, but I cant--is there a reason?

Thanks
Steve
Karapaz

Re: renaming a batch of files selected in Explorer

Postby KHL » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi Tiesenhausen,

interesting behaviour. Haven't recognized your note up to now but I could sort your problem out at my machine.

I have NO idea WHY this happens, but can give you a workflow how to start BRU within the correct folder:
1. Make visible Windows Explorer's address bar
2. Navigate to your links' source folder (the one who combines all the links)
3. Copy the source folder's address from the address bar
4. Start BRU in ANY way, either by double-click onto its desktop icon or by "Bulk Rename Here' from the context menu
5. Open Actions|Jump to Path, or use shortcut Ctrl+J alternatively
6. Paste the source folder's address into the dialogue box, press OK.
7. Rename your links accordingly.
8. DONE!

Hope this helps.

Karl-Heinz
KHL

Return to BRU Support