Inconsistent dates in the [Taken (Original)] column

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Inconsistent dates in the [Taken (Original)] column

Postby F.Xavier » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:25 am

Hi Jim,

First I must commend you for an outstanding job with this very useful utility. Thanks for spending the time and efforts to produce such a nice program.

Just upgraded from BRU 2.7.0.3 to 2.7.1.1, and noticed that dates displayed in the [Taken (Original)] column are different from one version to the other.

For example, for the same picture file, version 2.7.0.3 displays "1/3/2008 2:12:55 PM" and version 2.7.1.1 displays "1/4/2009 6:12:27 PM" in the [Taken (Original)] column.

Checking raw Exif data shows that version 2.7.0.3 is correct in displaying the [Taken (Original)] file. On the other hand I was unable to determine where version 2.7.1.1 is pulling the wrong date information from.

Anyway, your help with this would be tremendously helpful.

Cheers,
- FX
F.Xavier

Re: Inconsistent dates in the [Taken (Original)] column

Postby johnmeyer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:07 am

I too just found that the date taken information is not being interpreted correctly. In my case, the EXIF date/time for one example picture is:

11/3/2008 7:07:45 AM

I confirmed this in Windows Explorer (which has a "date taken" column you can enable) and also in an EXIF utility.

However, BRU displays the date taken as:

1/25/2009 2:30:55

I am writing this on 2/10/2009, so the current date is not the issue.

What is even stranger is that for other files from this group of about 1,500 files, BRU reads the EXIF Taken (Original) data correctly).

I looked at several hundred files and about half of the time BRU gets it right (reading the EXIF Taken date/time) and half of the time it doesn't. I could find no correlation with file size, date or time of the original, or anything else. I did find that the original image size in the files that wouldn't rename correctly had been set changed from the correct 3872 to 1. I received these images from someone else, and they used some program from either Nero or HP to do things to some of the files. All my other EXIF file programs were able to display and handle these changed EXIF files, but these changes seem to throw BRU for a loop.

Hope this helps!
johnmeyer

Postby jimwillsher » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:29 am

Please confirm exactly which "date taken" field you are using. EXIF files contain up to three, not all necessarily the same - Date Original, Date Digitized, Date Latest etc. Try experimenting with the different valus (for example, in the Append Date function).

Jim
jimwillsher

Postby motorcyclemommy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:22 pm

First I want to say that I LOVE this utility. It makes renaming all of my photos (over 20,000 of them) by date so much easier. I have used it non-stop for many yrs. But...

I to am having this problem after upgrading to 2.7.1.1. When I look at the properties of my photo the date picture taken is shown but when I go to the Rename Utility and select any of the 'Taken' fields no date is shown...I am using the same setting that I have in past versions but for some reason this one isn't working.

I hope you can help,
Have a Blessed Day,
Wendy
motorcyclemommy

Re: Inconsistent dates in the [Taken (Original)] column - patter

Postby dachenbach » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:21 am

Hi Jim,
I echo previous poster's comments- I've used your utility for years and just love it. Thank you so much for making it available.

My issue is the same or very similar to those above and I hope to pick up where they left off in providing you the feedback necessary to look into the issue if possible. I have a batch of about 1000 photos. I believe at one time they were displaying the correct Date Taken, but now are not. Note I have NOT switched BRU versions- the tag was being displayed properly in 2.7.1.1 and now is not in 2.7.1.1. Windows Explorer (Vista) displays all Date Taken values properly.

I may have noticed a pattern. The first thing I did with my batch of pictures was adjust the Date Taken field in all image by 7 hours using jhead.exe. I believe after that point the Date Taken displayed properly in BRU. The next thing I did was go through and manually ROTATE all images that needed it. I used the "Rotate Clockwise" feature of Windows Photo Gallery in Vista, 32-bit. I've now noticed that only (and all) of the pictures that I manually rotated show an incorrect Date Taken in the "Date Taken (Original)" column in BRU.

By experimenting with the different values in the Append Date function, I have determined that the date being displayed in the Date Taken (Original) column is either: Accessed (Current), Taken (Modified) or Taken (Recent).

I don't think it's Modified (Current) because sometimes it's identical to what's being shown in Date Taken, and sometimes it is off by 1 second.

One last important note: If I manipulate the "Append Date" function to rename the file using "Taken (Original)" or "Taken (Digitized)" EXIF data, the proposed new filename shows the correct Date Taken. So it seems the information is there, but perhaps it's being pulled from the wrong place when it comes to showing the value in the Date Taken (Original) column. I'd be happy to provide samples if helpful. Sorry this got so wordy :-)

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Darrin
dachenbach

Return to BRU Support