Automatically "folderize" files for Plex Server

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Automatically "folderize" files for Plex Server

Postby GreenBar » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:38 am

I needed to add sub folders based on file names to organize files going to a Plex server. An example
C:\Movies\Knives Out(2019).mkv
needed to become
C:\Movies\Knives Out(2019)\Knives Out(2019).mkv

The method I used is based on a How To section post titled Automatically create folder based on file name = "folderize"
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5527
The majority of the text below is copied from that post. The only change I made was to use the full file name as the folder name.

First switch on the required option:

Advanced Options > Allow Using '\' in Renaming Criteria for Creation of New Folders (Advanced Option)

Use this option with caution. This option can create new folders during renaming and can not be undone. With this option selected, if the new resulting file name contains a \, then a new folder is created, instead of just considering the file name invalid. So for example, if you had a file called a.txt and your renaming-criteria caused the file name a.txt to become 20190801\a.txt, then a new folder 20190801\ is created and the file a.txt is moved in there. This is called 'folderize'. Using this option, you can reorganize files into folders based on their timestamps, for instance, or name.
Before using this option it is recommended to backup your files.

Use RegEx (1) = Regular Expressions
Match: (.*)
Replace: \1\\1

(.*) matches the entire file name
\1\\1 means <first match>\<first match>

Just wanted to put this on the forums in case anyone else searches for this solution. BRU has been an integral part of my photography business's work flow for the better part of a decade. For some reason camera makers think we still live in the 1980's when DOS restricted file names to 8 bytes. I've renamed tens of millions of image numbers, not an exaggeration, from 8 bytes to 10. Buying a BRU commercial license was one of the best investments I've made.
GreenBar

Return to BRU Support