Where is a Supported Metatag List?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Where is a Supported Metatag List?

Postby dec » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:31 pm

... and where can you use metatag variables (PH) in BRU?
dec

Re: Where is a Supported Metatag List?

Postby dec » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:35 pm

dec wrote:... and where can you use metatag variables (PH) in BRU?

for example i would LIKE to use %tag% in Replace and Add
dec

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:13 am

Hi, what metatags? From help file:

Add (7)

Add a fixed prefix or suffix to the filename, and certain Exif and ID3 tags.

This section allows you to add a fixed text string to the start of the filename (Prefix) and/or a fixed text string to the end of a filename (Suffix). Useful for renaming MP3 files, where you can prefix all the filenames with the artist or album name. You can also insert a text string at any point in the filename.
You may also choose to add a "Word Space". This will insert a space before any capital letter (except the first character), unless there's a space already there. So, the name "MyHoliday Photographs" would become "My Holiday Photographs".

EXIF Tags: If you are processing JPEG files or other image files that support EXIF, you can also extract and add certain EXIF tags.
These are specified using substitution tags, which you key into the Prefix, Insert or Suffix boxes. The tags supported are:

%a - Aperture
%c - Comments
%e - Exposure
%f - Focal Length
%xb - Exposure Bias
%ma - Camera Make
%mo - Camera Model

Extended EXIF Tags (version 2): Additional extended version 2 EXIF Tags are also supported in Add (7). They can be added as text, number or as a formatted date to a file name. Read More.

ID3 Tags: If you are processing MP3 files, you can also extract certain ID3 tags (n.b. only V1 and V1.1 ID3 tags are supported). These are specified using substitution tags, which you key into the Prefix, Insert or Suffix boxes. The tags supported are:

%r - Artist
%l - Album
%t - Title
%k - Track Number

Other Tags Supported:

· %z : You can also specify %z to include the file size (using the format currently specified on the Options menu)

· <clip> : It is also possible to use the tag <clip>. <clip> will be substituted with the current text content of the Windows Clipboard.

· <removed> : Use the <removed> tag to add back what was removed in section Remove(5). For example, if in Remove(5) text was removed from position 3 to 6 or First n or Last n or by the crop function, then you can re-add that removed text in a different position, as a suffix, prefix or insertion, using the <removed> tag in Add(7). You can use the <removed> tag multiple times in Add(7).

HASH Value Tags

The following hash value tags are also supported: <(hash:crc32)>, <(hash:md5)>,<(hash:sha1)>,<(hash:sha256)>,<(hash:sha3)>,<(hash:keccak)>. These tags will be replaced by the corresponding hash value of the file and can be used to add a hash value to the file name.

Windows File Properties:

All Windows File Properties tags are also supported in Add (7). They can be added as text, number or as a formatted date to a file name. Read More
To enable Windows File Properties tags support, activate the option 'Extract Windows File Properties' from the Renaming menu.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dec » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:47 am

Admin wrote:Hi, what metatags? From help file:

Add (7)

Add a fixed prefix or suffix to the filename, and certain Exif and ID3 tags.

This section allows you to add a fixed text string to the start of the filename (Prefix) and/or a fixed text string to the end of a filename (Suffix). Useful for renaming MP3 files, where you can prefix all the filenames with the artist or album name. You can also insert a text string at any point in the filename.
You may also choose to add a "Word Space". This will insert a space before any capital letter (except the first character), unless there's a space already there. So, the name "MyHoliday Photographs" would become "My Holiday Photographs".

EXIF Tags: If you are processing JPEG files or other image files that support EXIF, you can also extract and add certain EXIF tags.
These are specified using substitution tags, which you key into the Prefix, Insert or Suffix boxes. The tags supported are:

%a - Aperture
%c - Comments
%e - Exposure
%f - Focal Length
%xb - Exposure Bias
%ma - Camera Make
%mo - Camera Model

Extended EXIF Tags (version 2): Additional extended version 2 EXIF Tags are also supported in Add (7). They can be added as text, number or as a formatted date to a file name. Read More.

ID3 Tags: If you are processing MP3 files, you can also extract certain ID3 tags (n.b. only V1 and V1.1 ID3 tags are supported). These are specified using substitution tags, which you key into the Prefix, Insert or Suffix boxes. The tags supported are:

%r - Artist
%l - Album
%t - Title
%k - Track Number

Other Tags Supported:

· %z : You can also specify %z to include the file size (using the format currently specified on the Options menu)

· <clip> : It is also possible to use the tag <clip>. <clip> will be substituted with the current text content of the Windows Clipboard.

· <removed> : Use the <removed> tag to add back what was removed in section Remove(5). For example, if in Remove(5) text was removed from position 3 to 6 or First n or Last n or by the crop function, then you can re-add that removed text in a different position, as a suffix, prefix or insertion, using the <removed> tag in Add(7). You can use the <removed> tag multiple times in Add(7).

HASH Value Tags

The following hash value tags are also supported: <(hash:crc32)>, <(hash:md5)>,<(hash:sha1)>,<(hash:sha256)>,<(hash:sha3)>,<(hash:keccak)>. These tags will be replaced by the corresponding hash value of the file and can be used to add a hash value to the file name.

Windows File Properties:

All Windows File Properties tags are also supported in Add (7). They can be added as text, number or as a formatted date to a file name. Read More
To enable Windows File Properties tags support, activate the option 'Extract Windows File Properties' from the Renaming menu.

Dear bro.

ty for that info.

it was %$artist etc that i was after.

are the ones you mentioned the ONLY ones supported?
eg no Duration?

where is all this listed/documented? i attempted to find it in the Manual, but it is just HUGE.

i have mentioned before that you should enhance BRU (or do a separate fork) to support all MP3 and other metatags

the huge advantage that would have is that you have already got all the Regex code (i assume) or some other code behind all the many many file renaming functions and options, so only an extended metatag input needs to be added.

the big prob with MP3Tag etc is that you basically have to be a Regex programmer which is very problematic for most users (and can very dangerous too) ... and frankly even as an ex-programmer, i find Regex strings to be very difficult to parse

apart from that BRU is such a great great program .... and i only just found out when i read in some doco somewhere (where?) about all the cryptic tick boxes mean in Remove. that would have been very handy if i had known that long ago :-(

apart from the metatags, all it needs is a bit more small tweaking and enhancing

kind regards

don
dec

Postby therube » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:42 pm

eg no Duration?

You'd want <(Length)> for that.
therube

Return to BRU Support