Multiple Replace

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Multiple Replace

Postby typeleven » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm wanting to save the ability to replace multiple things in file names for the purpose of cleaning up downloaded files. For example I want to replace periods and brackets with spaces and remove certain words completely. Right now i am manually entering each replace and hitting the rename button. I'm guessing there is a more efficient way to do this.
typeleven

Re: Multiple Replace

Postby GMA » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:27 am

Hi, typeleven:
Unfortunatelly, BRU allows using the "Replace" function only once per rename. I think that in your case one solution could be using the "Character Translations" feature. For example, you can use it like this:

1. Go to "Options > Character Translations" and enter the following lines:

[=
]=
.=

NOTE: There's a space after every "="

That'll take care of replacing the characters you mentioned in your post (brackets, dots and any other you might want to add) with a space.

2. Use Repl. (3) to remove the word you want:

REPLACE: Your word
WITH: Leave it empty

For some reason, if you try to remove it using Remove (5), then the character translations won't be applied; I'm pretty sure this is a bug. So, MAKE SURE that you use Repl. (3) for something; if you don't have anything else to replace -or remove-, then just delete one of the "character translation" lines and do that replacement using Repl. (3).

3. In Remove (5), check "Trim" and "D/S". That will take care of removing all double spaces plus all leading and trailing spaces that might be left by the other operations.

4. Press "Rename".

Hope that was of help. Best regards,

Gabriel.
GMA

Return to BRU Support