BUG: Replace Accents ...

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BUG: Replace Accents ...

Postby dec » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:07 pm

i was wondering for some time about names of tracks and artists missing characters - when i noticed and could see was changed/wrong/incomplete

imagine my surprise/shock when i discovered that this Accent 'function' does NOT replace characters with the accent eg â with the equivalent non-accented a.

Oh. no, it just DELETES the character!!! what a lazy completely dysfunctional thing to do

that means, like, duh, it completely 'scrambles' the Artists and Track names to indecipherable. there is no accurate way to know what was deleted, OR any way to fix except by guesswork and MANUAL INDIVIDUAL changes

WTF.
dec

Re: BUG: Replace Accents ...

Postby therube » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:54 pm

What settings are you using in BRU.

The original "tag" is not touched, no?
So you should still be able to see that, as it was (& is), regardless of what the file name ended up to be.

What OS/language/local?
therube

Postby dec » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:44 am

therube wrote:What settings are you using in BRU.

The original "tag" is not touched, no?
So you should still be able to see that, as it was (& is), regardless of what the file name ended up to be.

What OS/language/local?

sorry, Rube, didn't quite understand that (and not getting Notifications because i can't change my email is really frustrating)

the 'bug' is simple and REALLY bad

if i use the Remove 'Accents' function, as in fact i did multiple times, it does NOT, repeat NOT, remove the 'accent' at all!

IT REMOVES THE WHOLE BLOODY LETTER.

it is NOT a 'Remove Accent' function at all.

it took me a while to make the connection about why some of my Track & Artists names were getting 'scrambled' into nonsense.
dec

Postby therube » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:44 pm

Ah, those accents - 5:Remove --> Accents.

Well, what you want, & what the particular setting does, are two different things.

You're wanting to "translate" accented characters to "un-accented" characters.

What 5:Remove does is to outright remove the accented character (which is the behavior you are seeing).

What would work (one method), for your purposes, is 3:Replace.

3:Replace
Code: Select all
Replace:  á|ñ
With:  a|c

(And of course you can extend those sets of replacements for whatever you might need.)

Code: Select all
niña      -> nica
está      -> esta
pequeña   -> pequeca
therube

Postby dec » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:26 am

hey there.

can i point out the small elephant in the room - NO-ONE wants the whole letter removed if it has an accent!!

That, as i i found out to my cost, makes a total mess & nonsense of the words.

And there is no practical way AT ALL to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, ie there is no way to tell what was there before.

it is totally stuffed.

my advice - unless you fix it, DELETE that function entirely. it is too dangerous and dysfunctional - and actually serves no useful purpose.
dec

Postby dec » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:31 am

yes you can create a manual replacement of accented characters.

have you thought about what is involved?????

for a start, and critically, you have NO way of identifying what different accented characters are in the data.

secondly, as a practical matter, unlike MP3Tag, you have no option to save such a script for continued use.

and then you have to look up the ASCII code for each of those characters so that you can add them.

much much easier to get a computer to do all the work with a PROPER 'Accent Replacement'
dec

Postby therube » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:15 pm

PROPER

There is no such thing as "proper".
Even in my example above, I replaced ñ with a c - with a 'C' !!!

(No idea how I managed that ??? ;-).)
therube

Postby dec » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:39 am

'proper' as in remove the accent, NOT the whole letter (which is actually a huge BUG, not a feature)

it is quite simple to create an Accent 'Look-up Table' with all accented characters.
you can copy such a list from the Web easily.

then you just need to add the letter check and replacement function to that table
(which is what should have been done initially)
dec

Return to BRU Support