Process but No Window for BRU on Vista 64

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Process but No Window for BRU on Vista 64

Postby nrshapiro » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Most the time, when I start BRU under Vista 64, it doesn't show up (at least within 10 minutes).

The process is there in the process list, taking around 22 percent CPU too even after 10 minutes), but there's no window for the process. In task manager, it doesn't show up in the Applications tab, only in the Process list. So it's running as a windowless process.

I have 6 GB of memory; running as an admin.

Once and a while, I can get it to start with a Window. But not reliably. Interestingly, I suspect that after a couple of hours, the window appears if I'm patient enough. At least I think I've seen that happen.

What's up?
nrshapiro

Re: Process but No Window for BRU on Vista 64

Postby nrshapiro » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 am

Well I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, and it came right up that time. But as I said, it worked "sometimes" before. So we'll see if that was just a lucky start, or if it's working now....
nrshapiro

Postby nrshapiro » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:14 pm

It's doing it again...it just won't open a window, but it's in the process list.

Now, I made a shortcut to it on the desktop, and changed it to run as an administrator. And it works every time (though I have to approve its start because of UAC. But my account is an admin account, so I don't understand why it won't run with a normal start. Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas?

Running the 64 bit version of 2.7.1.1
nrshapiro

Postby GMA » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Sorry, I'm on XP 32 bits, so I don't have a lot to say about Vista/UAC. Anyway, at least it seems like you solved the problem with BRU, right?
GMA

Postby nrshapiro » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Well, I have a workaround, but it's still not "normal" to have to run an app under administrator rights. It also requires me to answer a "Do you want to run this program" prompt every time I run it.

This is not normal for an app under Vista 64, even with UAC turned on. (The prompt is normal, it's not normal to have to run a file management app with this permission level.)
nrshapiro

Return to BRU Support