Auto Date worked then stopped working

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Auto Date worked then stopped working

Postby saigon567 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:15 pm

I'm on windows 10.
I've been using BRU to rename my canon camera image files from for example "IMG_0285.JPG" to "20231011_17-56-07-IMG_0285.JPG" by using the operators Prefix (Taken Original) Custom %Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S-
It used to work well for years on Windows 7, but now on Windows 10 it isn't working. I reinstalled the app and tried again, same problem. After reading these boards i made sure the renaming options IDE > to extract windows file properties and extract IDE data, was toggled on. I refreshed, restarted, over and over, and finally it worked. Not sure what i did to get it to work. BUT now a week later it isn't' working again and I can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. BTW It works if I select "Current" in the drop down list, but not if I select anything else, such as Taken (Original). Also I have checked the image files in Windows Explorer, and the image files do have a 'date taken' under windows properties.
saigon567

Extract Windows File Property or Exif Data

Postby Luuk » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:51 pm

It sounds like either there's no checkmark for "Extract Exif Data" or the images dont have any $Exif:TakenOriginal??
Its unfortunate, but Windows Explorer will look at very many different $metadata, before deciding its 'Date Taken'.
Can right-click your images in BRU to "Show List of File Properties" and then look for 'System.Photo.DateTaken'.

So then, instead of using $Exif:TakenOriginal, could use this 'Windows File Property' with settings like...
Add(7) with Prefix==<($System.Photo.DateTaken)>
AutoDate(8) with Mode==None and Custom==%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S-

The $ tells Add(7) to use AutoDate(8)'s date-format.
Since $Exif:TakenOriginal is used to decide for the Windows File Property 'Date Taken', you might like this better anyway?
Luuk

Re: Auto Date worked then stopped working

Postby saigon567 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:51 pm

Thanks Luuk, you're a genius. I don't know quite why it works, but it worked!
saigon567

Return to BRU Support