BRU CRASHES

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU CRASHES

Postby dmrick44 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 am

When I do a search of my complete C:\ drive, I watch as it goes from folder to folder. When it come to the Windows > Fonts folder, it starts and then the program crashes.
Since I used to do a lot of Graphics Arts and Typesetting, I have about 1000 fonts. Could the large number of fonts cause BRU to blow up?
dmrick44

Re: BRU CRASHES

Postby Admin » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:47 am

Hi, there must be a specific file that crashes BRU I expect.
Do you have any options under Renaming Options -> ID3/Exif Data enabled?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dmrick44 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:38 am

Haven't been able to respond - - My Internet connection failed for over 10 days. Technician showed up and not only got it going, but also discovered that CenturyLink was maxing out at 10mbps... and I've been paying for 20. Trouble was at the connection in the roadside green box... It had been wired wrong. Not getting 20 mbps.

Back on topic...

I'm trying to make sure that I don't mess up my fonts folder when I uninstall fonts. I'm using a good program (High-Logic MainType) that states that it will NOT uninstall any system font. The Fonts folder in Windows is EXTREMELY protected by Windows 10...

What I plan on doing is uninstalling all the fonts that MainType will uninstall... then see if a BRU search crashes... If it doesn't, I'll add fonts back in a few at a time until BRU crashes. Hope I'll be able to narrow down the cause.

I asked if I could upload my fonts folder to the techs at BRU, but never got an answer.

Other than this situation, BRU is my 2nd most valuable piece of software. Love it ! ! ! ( CorelDraw is still #1 )
Thanks... dmrick44
dmrick44

Postby therube » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:56 pm

When I do a search of my complete C:\ drive

Particular reason for that?
I'd think it to be rather inefficient.

Might the issue not be the fonts, per se, but perhaps the number, extent of files that you are searching through?

For "finding", there is nothing better then Everything.
You can search for ext:fon to find all "font" files.
You can search for ext:fon !C:\Windows\Fonts\ to find all "font" files not found in C:\Windows\Fonts\.

But then, are you even looking to do anything (in regards to BRU) with "fonts"?
If not, then just what are you looking for (in BRU, i.e., why are you searching all of C:)?

Find said files in Everything, & drag those you're actually looking to rename into BRU.
therube

Return to BRU Support