Item date does not display seconds

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Item date does not display seconds

Postby nf24eg » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:47 pm

Hello, I'm trying to make a bulk rename using Item Date %Y%m%d_%H%M%S but it always display seconds as 00, while the same file display the seconds is 09 or whatever the number when checking it using exiftool(-k)
nf24eg

Re: Item date not display seconds

Postby Admin » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:12 am

Hi, what does Windows show for Item Date in the file properties? BRU is getting the item date from Windows.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby nf24eg » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:04 pm

windows showing date and time includes seconds
nf24eg

Postby nf24eg » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:19 pm

nf24eg wrote:windows showing date and time includes seconds

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wwpchHimdgEN3ybcWGqemsNvv-QT5A2l/view?usp=sharing
nf24eg

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:47 am

Hi, are you after the modified date or the item date?
The Item Date is from Windows, if you right click on a file and select view details... while the modified date is also from Windows but it is the modified date from the Operative System itself.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby nf24eg » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:08 pm

sometimes the item date is different than the modified date, in the software the Item date doesn't ever have %S than 00
nf24eg

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:28 am

The Item Date is what Windows determines to be the most relevant date based on the type of the item. For example, if the item is a photo the date in System.Photo.DateTaken is returned. Or if the item is a song the date in System.Media.DateReleased is returned.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.storage.fileproperties.basicproperties.itemdate?view=winrt-22621

The modified date is different and every files has it: it is the time the file was last written to disk.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby nf24eg » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:55 pm

Admin wrote:The Item Date is what Windows determines to be the most relevant date based on the type of the item. For example, if the item is a photo the date in System.Photo.DateTaken is returned. Or if the item is a song the date in System.Media.DateReleased is returned.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.storage.fileproperties.basicproperties.itemdate?view=winrt-22621

First of all I have to thank you for your patient and your prompt replies and concern, also for that great software, on the other hand I would like to clarify that i'm trying to get the best out of the software.
regarding windows OS, the windows OS stopped using seconds in the explorer for unknown reasons, moreover I noticed that the date which windows mention for media files (movies, photos, songs) are not accurate, the more accurate comes from Exiftool, how I know and be sure ?! 1- some files I'm aware when and what time I shot the picture or the video, 2- some files getting it's name (which is not changing when moving the file from a drive to another) from the device it self and the name is configured to be YMD H:M:S, 3- some files have date and time printed on the picture it self, 4- some files has been created in the evening time while it's dark, but the date in windows showing day time ... that's why I was like to get your attention not to depend on windows but something like Exiftool will be more accurate :)
nf24eg

Re: Item date does not display seconds

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:29 am

Hi! Look for "Item Date" in the two Bulk Rename Utility Operations Manuals:

viewforum.php?f=12

It will have more info on all the different dates.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby therube » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:10 pm

(Heh. Never knew what "item date" was before now.
Never even realized particularly that BRU had an "item date" item.)

the windows OS stopped using seconds in the explorer

Not so (per your screenshot).
Created, Modified, & Accessed (kind of, for Accessed), shows seconds.

In 8:Auto Date, if you change Type: from Item to Modified (Current), you should then see seconds.
And if you change it to Created (Curr.), you should see different seconds...

Likewise, if you wanted a specific (EXIF) date field (DateTimeOriginal or DateTimeDigitized or ...), other then what is shown as Modified or Current or what "Item " returns, you should be able to pull that out too (for use in BRU, & assuming that Windows itself can see that Property).
therube

Postby nf24eg » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:00 pm

therube wrote:Likewise, if you wanted a specific (EXIF) date field (DateTimeOriginal or DateTimeDigitized or ...), other then what is shown as Modified or Current or what "Item " returns, you should be able to pull that out too (for use in BRU, & assuming that Windows itself can see that Property).

from my POV BRU is having all required date fields, it's just depend on the windows OS, while windows now showing full date specially in Item date.. lets say you are renaming pictures as I do now, and of course you can make more than one shot in the same minute, this will cause duplicate in the same "Unless" you add the Seconds to the fields which appears in Exif but not in windows OS
check that image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ijvSFXd6w9t_KVuKuKPKJn-XgbkmBOJ2/view?usp=sharing
nf24eg

Postby therube » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:18 pm

(From what it looks like to me...)

BRU takes "Item Date" based upon what Windows says it is.

BRU looks to also format the "Item Date" based upon the format that Windows uses.
And Windows looks to use, HH:MM (for the time portion) - does not display :SS (seconds).

And even though (in BRU) 8:Auto Date, you can set something like:
Code: Select all
8:Auto Date
Mode:  Prefix
Type:  Item Date
Fmt:  Custom
Custom:  %m-%d-%Y  - %H:%M:%S   ---------   

BRU does not look to actually be returning (or at least displaying) %S (seconds), instead simply presenting ":00".

The last 2 files are the same file.
_original is the original.
The second file had a "createdate" added to it.
exif "-createdate=1980:12:01 02:01:09" XXX.JPG

"Item Date", as shown by Windows Explorer "Properties"-> Details, & as shown by BRU show (time as) HH:MM AM [or PM], but no seconds.

Seconds (& milliseconds) are there & can be accessed, displayed (as seen in 'Column A'), though it seems BRU is not doing that?

C:\exif>exif  XXX.JPG | GREP -i date
File Modification Date/Time     : 2024:01:29 11:40:08-05:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2024:01:29 11:40:08-05:00
File Creation Date/Time         : 2024:01:29 11:34:56-05:00
Create Date                     : 1980:12:01 02:01:09

(Copy & paste link into browser, then save.)
XXX-EXIF-sample.jpg
therube

Return to BRU Support