Need help how to extract EXIF data and insert into file name

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Need help how to extract EXIF data and insert into file name

Postby bsac » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:54 pm

I was seeking a file renaming program that could extract EXIF data such as shot taken, GPS, etc, etc, and automatically insert it into a bulk file renaming exercise.

I have a huge family collection of photos that are not individually named with any naming convention that is useful like YEAR_Month_DAY , i.e. (2024_10_30)

So, I was seeking a program that could automatically rename all my files in bulk.

Can someone on this forum explain to me if this is possible?

Please advise,
bob
bsac

Re: Need help how to extract EXIF data and insert into file name

Postby bsac » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:52 pm

OK, I sorta already figured out how to create a custom date format by entering the following into #8 AUTO>Custom field %Y_%m_%d_

this enters 2004_12_31_ into where I want as a prefix into the file name.

My problem now is HOw do I search for all the loose files that are image files (jpg, jpeg, PNG) and auto rename them?

Lots of my photos are located already in folders in which I don't want to change their name but are preventing me from reaching the files and renaming them simply because I can't access all the individual files in bulk.

Please advise on how to bulk rename individual files that are trapped in folders?
bsac

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:02 am

Hi, in Filters (12), enable "Subfolders" but disable "Folders". This will list all files in subfolders. You can then use the filter mask to only include files with a certain extension and / or name. Once the files are shown in the list, select all or just the files you want to rename.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby bsac » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm

Thank you for your post. Though, I'm a bit of a newbie and I'm having a struggle understanding just what you mean modifying #12 and the filtering step.

Can you please expand further with a more intricate step by step approach?

Best, bob
bsac

Postby bsac » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:52 pm

OK, I figured out how setup #8 (Auto Date) I think?

I have it set to the following:

note: orig file was 2009_03_10_IMG_0145.JPG

Mode = Prefix
Type = Taken (Original)
Fmt = Custom
Sep = _
Custom = %Y_%m_%d_

this changes the orig file name to : 2009_03_10_IMG_2009_03_10_IMG_0145.JPG

I'm not sure why it is repeating 2009_03_10_IMG twice.

Any ideas?

I'd really like to learn how to rename the file name using the EXIF Date Taken as the prefix because then the date works as an AUTO-Sorter for my collection of screwed up mislabeled photos. Eventually I then can add the CORRECT FOLDERS to organize them into.

Does anyone know how to use this tool to rename the way I'm planning?

Is this the most efficient way to rename and organize?

I have TBs worth of screwed up file names with no dates on them.

I would REALLY appreciate any insights from any experts on this forum.

Thanks in advance,
bob
bsac

AutoDate(8) when some names already dated

Postby Luuk » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:27 am

The date is doubled because AutoDate(8) can only add characters to the filename.
So it depends on your previous date-formats, if they are correct, or should be removed?
It can also depend if there are any pictures, that dont have anything for $exif:DateTaken?

AutoDate(8) wont double the "IMG_" part, unless putting it inside of "Sep." or "Custom"?
Luuk

Postby bsac » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I would like to REMOVE that extra date showing up.

What i want to do is rename all my photos with YYYY_MM/DD_IMG_1234.jpg

1234 = a unique number or identifier.

At a later date I can add a suffix AFTER "1234" with specific photo information like Gary_Wedding.

DO you know how I can get rid of the extra showing up in my file name?
bsac

Postby bsac » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:37 am

I'm staring down at 205 years worth of family photos and videos that do not have any sort of Date or description in the name of the file.

I'm attempting to use BRU to at least DATE all my photos with YYY_MM_DD prefix for sorting purposes.

I think I figured out how to extract the DATE TAKEN from EXIF info using the custom DATE format of %Y_%m_%d_ in AUTO DATE #8 in BRU and INSERT it as a PREFIX. This way all my files can at least be DATED and sorted.

Is this the correct way to rename all these files in BULK?

I'd any other tips on how to EXACTLY leverage and bring forward all the EXIF data hidden so that I can organize my mess of photos and videos.

Best, bob
bsac

Postby bsac » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:38 am

25 YEARS!!!!!!!
bsac

AutoDate(8) when some names already dated

Postby Luuk » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:40 am

IF your jpegs are like the sample, and they have the correct dates in their metadata, this can be an example...

First RegEx(1) needs a checkmark inside for "Inc.Ext.", so then a "Match" and "Replace" like...
^20\d\d_\d\d_\d\d_(?i)(IMG_\d+)\.jpe?g$
\1

Add(7) with Prefix==<($exif:DateTimeOriginal)>
AutoDate(8) with Mode==None, Fmt==Custom, Custom==%Y_%m_%d---
Could also use Extensions(11) to make the extensions lower-case.

The RegEx(1) removes any leading YYYY_mm_dd_ in front of names ending like your description "IMG_digits".
But if either your now-names or date-formats are not like the description, then the dates will not be removed!
If they dont have dates it wont matter, but if your now-names can be different, must give more than 1-example.

After RegEx(1) removes any leading-date, Add(7) prefixes the date found inside of DateTimeOriginal.
Note: The $ inside of <($exif:DateTimeOriginal)> tells Add(7) to use AutoDate(8)'s date-format.
So really AutoDate(8) is just holding the custom date-string for Add(7).
Luuk

Return to BRU Support