What is the max permitted file name length for BRU?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

What is the max permitted file name length for BRU?

Postby ramasaig » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:13 pm

I'm working with track data from ripped CDs. Sometimes the track names are really long. BRU comes up with an error message saying it can't find the path. This is not true, of course, it must have found the path because it's displaying the file name. I believe the problem is file name length (or possibly illegal characters).
The problem may not be in BRU itself, but in the underlying Windows functions. It would be helpful to know what the maximum langth is, please.
ramasaig

Re: What is the max permitted file name length for BRU?

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:52 am

Hi , I believe it's 260 in total. For example, the maximum path on drive D is "D:\some 256-character path string". We want to change this to 32,767 in the next update.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is the max permitted file name length for BRU?

Postby ramasaig » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:43 am

Thank you. I hadn't considered total patth length as a factor. The directory/folder names can be quite long too. They can also contain characters that whilst not actually illegal are generally not used in folder/file names, like (), commas and full stops (periods). I avoid full stops in file names obviously, but they're common in folder names after ripping a CD. These names are derived from an online database, and it would be very tedious to have to edit every one.
An increase to a path length of 32,767 would be very welcome. I'd be happy to Beta test.
Meanwhile BRU does a great job for me. Thank you.
ramasaig

Return to BRU Support