Newbie Nightmares....

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Newbie Nightmares....

Postby dkmcostello » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Hello! I'm brand-spanking new to the BRU, a clueless philistine when it comes to Regular Expressions and anything beyond basic-basic HTML, and I have a *very* large quantity of files that need renamed in a particular pattern. Any help appreciated - I've printed out the help file, and read through, but am almost as clueless as before I printed it.

My files are all .jpg files, in separate folders, and the current naming pattern is as follows (where "blah" could be any combination of letters, sometimes with a numeral at the end of the name, typed in lowercase):
blaha.jpg
blahb.jpg
blahc.jpg
...ad infinitum.

I'm embarrassed that I can't seem to figure this out, because it's such a simple switch - I need to change the case of all of these files, but only the "blah" part - the a.jpg, b.jpg, c.jpg, etc. need to stay lowercase (there is an a/b/c/d/etc. designation before the .jpg on all files I'm working with).
The resulting files need to look like this:
BLAHa.jpg
BLAHb.jpg
BLAHc.jpg

...and some of the file names have numerals in them that have to remain numerals(like BLAH1a.jpg, BLAH1b.jpg) - all of the numerals appear as the last character before the a/b/c/etc. at the end of the file name.

I keep futzing with the program, which I'm finding to be amazing, and I'm mumbling to myself, "ooh, neat - I had no idea you could do that!" quite regularly as I come across things I wish I'd known in times past, but no matter what I do I can't figure out how to do the specific thing I need it to do! AARGH! I'm not used to being a person who looks at a help file and can't teach myself something - ANY help appreciated, since without help I will spend literally WEEKS renaming files so that they can be posted on a website that requires the file names to be just-so!

Thank you all!
-kc.
dkmcostello

Re: Newbie Nightmares....

Postby shhac » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:36 pm

if they all end in .jpg then you can do this in 3 steps (assuming you only want the last character to stay lower, if you want more than one character, ammend the RegEx's so the second bracket has that number of dots.
Step 1
Code: Select all
RegEx (1)
(.*)?(.)$
\1.\2

Extension (11)
Remove
Press rename and reset them

Step 2
Case (4)
Upper

Extension (11)
Extra
jpg
Press rename and reset them

Step 3
RegEx (1)
(.*)?\.(.)$
\1\2
Press rename

and you're done!
shhac

Re: Newbie Nightmares....

Postby dkmcostello » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Wow! Thank you so much! Will try it later today!
Be well,
-kc.
dkmcostello

Return to BRU Support