How to replace double quotes " with single quotes '

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How to replace double quotes " with single quotes '

Postby joshsstuff » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 pm

I've searched the help file, and this forum for what would seem to be a simple answer to this issue so forgive me if there is an answer somewhere I missed.

I am trying to replace all of the double quotes (") with single quotes (') in a group of audio files.
Applications I am using the files that contain double quotes seem to have issues, (like winzip) so I'm trying to bulk replace (") with: (')
however, (") seems to to be unrecognized in BRU. (nothing turns green when I enter (") in the "Replace" box)

I realize this may be because of programing language usage. Is there a script that I can use to get around this?
joshsstuff

Re: How to replace double quotes " with single quotes '

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:55 am

Hi

" is an invalid file name character on Windows... it should not appear at all on a Windows file system. Are these files on Linux or MAC?

thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby joshsstuff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:55 am

Admin wrote:Hi

" is an invalid file name character on Windows... it should not appear at all on a Windows file system. Are these files on Linux or MAC?

thanks

This would explain why I am having trouble with the files. (Why I can't Winzip them)
I don't have an explanation as to how they were able to be named with (") in them, except that the Mp3 file was created in Sony sound forge
And Yes, I'm running Vista- 64 Ultimate, and Yes if I try to lable a file with a (") on my PC it comes up with an error.
I know the friend I got the files from only runs Vista.

So does this mean I will have to fix each file manually? :(

Update:
I tried using "Character Translations" in options, even tired the Hx value (22=') to no avail.
I guess this may because of it being an invalid character.

again, I don't know how he did it, but it may have something to do with an exception in Sound Forge?

Thanks Admin
joshsstuff

Postby KHL » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:57 am

Hi,

have you already tried to check whether the double quotes may be two single quotes (Shift# at german keyboard) without blank rather than one double quote (Shift2)? :wink:
I think it's worth a try.

Karl-Heinz
KHL

Return to BRU Support