v2.7.1.2

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Re: v2.7.1.2

Postby ander » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 am

Admin (on July 30) wrote:Hi, new version 3.1 coming very soon (maybe this week) which will address this issue...

Just thought I'd mention—I've left this page open in my browser so I won't miss it. ;)
ander

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am

The new version has been released now...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ander » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:53 pm

Admin wrote:The new version has been released now...

Great! I've just installed v3.1.0.0 from BRU's Downloads page, and figured out that pressing F9 hides the bottom two fields, substantially enlarging the file area—yay! Thanks for your trouble, mate.

A couple of notes:

(1.) It wasn't clear to me where you'd added the new feature. You didn't go into any detail here (thought we might be in the mood for a treasure hunt, eh?), and neither BRU's main page nor its Features page mentioned it. (Does BRU have a change-detail page? I didn't see one—but that wouldn't be the greatest place for it anyway, as only the geekiest of the geeky usually look there.)

To find the feature, I had to open the manual and search it for "collapse"—the term you'd used—which revealed the F9 shortcut. I later found the actual command "buried" here:

Display Options > List > "Expand File List"

Since this is such a major enhancement—one that may significantly affect the way many people would use BRU, and even how many might try it in the first place (the small file area may have been discouraging some potential new users)—may I suggest you give it a prominent mention somewhere, including the F9 shortcut?

As I have a marketing background ( :wink: ), I'd also be tempted to:

• Start the new feature's entry with NEW: to draw a bit of attention to it.

• Add a new "expanded" screenshot to your Screenshots page, above the existing one. (The last two renaming features are useful—but since it's about, you know, file management, I suspect BRU would look more generally attractive if visitors saw it expanded first.)

(2.) For some reason, I can't resize BRU's window now. This may not affect everyone—but it's a bit of a problem here, as it's taller than my laptop's screen. (I'm guessing you just overlooked making the form resizable.)

Thanks again for the update!
ander

Postby Admin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:52 am

More enhancements are on the way regarding the size of the file list. :) We will expand it even more and will also add a separate preview window which will show only old name -> new name side by side for an easy check. Regarding the unresizable window... can you please try uninstalling and re-installing BRU and see if that helps. There might be a conflict between the old and new version.
thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ander » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:26 am

Admin wrote:More enhancements are on the way regarding the size of the file list. :) We will expand it even more and will also add a separate preview window which will show only old name -> new name side by side for an easy check...

Cool!

(BTW, are you referring to yourself as "we"? I believe Queen Victoria did that—it's called the "royal 'we' ". :wink: )

Admin wrote:Regarding the unresizable window... can you please try uninstalling and re-installing BRU and see if that helps. There might be a conflict between the old and new version.

I now see the window actually is resizable—sort of. You can drag the left and right edges to make it wider (to see more column info, so that's handy). You just can't make it shorter or taller, which is what I was trying to do.

As you can see, BRU opens slightly taller than my 3200x1800 desktop:

When I press F9 to expand the file area, more stuff's cut off:

I can live with that, as I rarely use the two bottom features. But you may want to consider seeing if you can remove a bit more vertical space from your layout. (It seems like there are a couple of places where you may be able to do that.)

More generally—rather than having an option to expand the list area by a set amount, why not just make its height user-resizable by dragging the window's top or bottom edge? (That is, only the list would get shorter or taller; the other controls would be unchanged.) It's actually more standard behaviour in apps with file lists, editing areas, and other full-width controls whose heights needn't be specific. (You'd want to stipulate a minimum height so the resizable area remained usable.)
ander

Postby therube » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Have you increased your Font (text) sizing (dpi)?
therube

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:13 am

Can you try to uninstall and re-install? At the standard font size (select display options -> font -> reset to reset the font size), everything should show properly. Only at bigger fonts you can get controls that are clipped if they do not fit, thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ander » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:51 am

therube wrote:Have you increased your Font (text) sizing (dpi)?

I have a UHD display (3200x1800), so Windows shows most apps at 250% by default. I don't think that affected BRU, though, as I'd already set its Compatibility > DPI setting to "System (Enhanced", which handles forms's appearances more intelligently. Thanks for asking, though!

Admin wrote:Can you try to uninstall and re-install? At the standard font size (select display options -> font -> reset to reset the font size), everything should show properly. Only at bigger fonts you can get controls that are clipped if they do not fit, thanks

It worked—brilliant! Everything's exactly right now. Thanks for such nice support.

I wish we knew your name, BTW... Referring to you as "admin" seems a bit impersonal. :|
ander

Postby ander » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 am

Well, it seems you prefer to be a man of mystery. Or woman. Or person. Yeah, that's it—"person of mystery". So your gender will be a mystery too. Who would've known a file-renaming utility could be surrounded by such intrigue? :shock:
ander

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:01 am

:) 8)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ander » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 am

Admin wrote::) 8)

Really? Even if we promise we won't track you down and turn up on your doorstep demanding more features? :P
ander

Previous

Return to General Comments