Too long files names

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Too long files names

Postby blue8_gulf » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Hello: I downloaded this program to deal specifically with the problem of WINDOWS refusing to copy files from one location to another that it deems have file names that are too long. Is there anywhere in the instructions for this utility that address this problem and if so, would a forum member be able to alert to me where I need to go in the instructions? Thank you for your help.
blue8_gulf

Re: Too long files names

Postby therube » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:33 am

I'm pretty sure that BRU can handle "LFN".

BRU is not made for copying files, per se.
It is made to rename file names.
Though, it can move/copy files.

I'M NOT CERTAIN ABOUT THIS, OR HOW IT MIGHT PLAY OUT, SO CREATE SO TEST FILES TO WORK WITH & TEST WHAT HAPPENS IN DIFFERENT SCENARIOS.

Depending on just what you're dealing with...
I.e., a "normal" path, but a very long filename, vs. a very long path & (lets say) a "normal" filename...

You could do something like, shorten the long name.
thisisaverylongfilenamedfilenamedithinkitistoolongbecausewindowsisagenerallybraindeadOSthatinthisdayandageisratherantiquatedinwhatitdoeshowitworks-withnorealinnovationinthatregardforwelljustaboutforever.TXT

5:Remove -> First: 80

-------

If it is a very long path name, perhaps something like:
this/is/a/very/long/path/named/path/name/i/think/it/is/too/long/becausewindowsis/a/generallybraindeadOS/thatinthisdayandage/isratherantiquated/inwhatitdoes/howitworks/-/withnorealinnovationinthatregardforwelljustabout/forever.TXT

13:Copy/Move -> c:\tmp\

Again, not sure. Experiment - safely.
therube

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:42 am

Hi, if you want to copy files including long file names, maybe try : https://viceversa.pro/
It is another program made by TGRMN Software
Admin
Site Admin

Postby blue8_gulf » Thu May 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Thank you for the suggestions; I will try creating a test file with a path/file name too long for WINDOWS just to see what the Bulk Rename Utility might be able to do with it.
blue8_gulf

Postby mark.green » Mon May 30, 2022 12:05 pm

Hi! For copying such long files Long path tool is recommended. Try it!
mark.green

Return to General Comments