Ver 3.4.1.0 Including NETWORK access. Where is it?

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Ver 3.4.1.0 Including NETWORK access. Where is it?

Postby RogerO » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:13 pm

I must be doing something wrong if I don't see the word "NETWORK" listed in the Path column where all the directories and such are listed.
I read the notation about including the NETWORK access was included in this release 3.4.1.0 in the ChangeLOG and so I downloaded and installed it. While using it I looked very hard for the word "NETWORK" out in the open and within other paths. Also I looked everywhere for help or something to click on to access it, but to no avail.
So I have to ask - what else do I have to do? P.S. I've wanted this feature for a long time. I didn't ask or mention it because I believed that if it wasn't there - you must have a reason for that - like it might do a lot of damage to a remote system if done inaccurately. :?:
RogerO

Re: Ver 3.4.1.0 Including NETWORK access. Where is it?

Postby therube » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:36 pm

Is appears that it does not show UNC paths by default.
But if you type one into the (location bar, whatever it's called), then Network shows up (for that session, only).

So if you type: \\NAS (or \\Roger2, or some location on your network), then Network should show, & all the paths in your network (in addition to already shown mapped drive letters, if you had any of them).

(Maybe it's a bug? If not, perhaps they're not wanting Network to show, by default?)
therube

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:46 am

Hi, the network is not shown in the tree unless it is selected in the path bar (can click on the button to browse), or 'the jump to' function, or with "Bulk Rename Here" in Windows Explorer. This is by design.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby cjbob » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:57 pm

I too have missed the ability to use a UNC, and was very excited to see that this feature was added in version 3.4.1.0.

I too am perplexed on how to use it.

I have tried the following, both using the installed and the portable version, with multiple UNCs on varying servers:

• Entering a UNC into the path bar
  • Entering a UNC into the "Jump to Path" dialogue

...but the contents of the share is never displayed.

Using "Bulk Rename Here" on a UNC folder displayed in Windows Explorer does work.

The servers never show up when browsing for a share, and therefore cannot be selected that way.
cjbob

Postby Admin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:01 am

The servers never show up when browsing for a share, and therefore cannot be selected that way.

I think this might be the issue... are the paths visible under "Network" in Windows Explorer?
If you enter a path in the address bar or 'jump to path', and the path is accessible, it will then be added under "network" in the directory tree of BRU,
Admin
Site Admin

Postby cjbob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 am

Admin wrote:I think this might be the issue... are the paths visible under "Network" in Windows Explorer?

No they are not. The only servers visible are my own workstation and another laptop on the same network. I don't believe the servers are configured to "publish" their network services in this discoverable way. But that doesn't prevent me accessing them.

Admin wrote:If you enter a path in the address bar or 'jump to path', and the path is accessible, it will then be added under "network" in the directory tree of BRU,

The "Network" node does indeed appear when entering a UNC in the address bar or "Jump To Path" dialogue, but it does not include the server name just entered.

I am hoping that this feature does not require a change in server configuration to publish their availability in this way.
cjbob

Postby RogerO » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:29 am

I thank all the respondents(?)

With a suggestion of what to do (within one of the responses) at the first sign of this problem - I fixed it by entering the remote computers name on my network. Later testing I entered the following: \\NAS or \\NETWORK and it caused my full network to show up with all the drives on those computers. Well done!!! This is less to remember and get correct each time I bring up a clean window.

But I would like to have the facts put into the Manual and explained in further depth. I have just looked around for the Manual as such and finally I found it by searching for the words Operations Manual. At first I found VOL II of the Colored Version and It was very interesting, but I still didn't find any information regarding NETWORK access except that it says "it can't do it".

1) is this the current update version of the manual - but just not up to date?
2) Is the most up to date version somewhere else?
RogerO

Postby cjbob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:38 am

I noticed that version 3.4.2.0 was recently released. Sadly, the above symptoms still persist for me:

• Entering a valid UNC in the address bar does not work
  • Entering a valid UNC in the "Jump to path" dialogue does not work
  • In File Explorer, right-clicking a folder in the same UNC path and selecting "Bulk Rename Here" does work

Is there any way we can make the first two options work?
cjbob

Postby therube » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:20 pm

It appears that if you enter a UNC path into BRU, & you have not yet logged into that path, BRU does not prompt you to do so.
So make sure you've logged into the path (through Windows Explorer, or otherwise), first, then try the UNC path in BRU.
(Also appears that you actually need to restart BRU, if it was already open prior to you logging into your UNC path.)
therube

Postby cjbob » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:26 pm

Thanks. I tried that by:

1. Opening the UNC in File Explorer, verifying that I can see its contents
    2. Launching BRU
    3. Entering the same UNC into the address bar in BRU

...but I get the same result.
cjbob

Return to General Comments