Input Txt file problem

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Input Txt file problem

Postby HadronX » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Hello,

I see that BRU can take a text file as an input for the file renaming process. However I am wondering is it possible to configure BRU to take this txt file as input:

In txt input files there are rows and in each row there are:

1) PATH and FILE NAME of an existing file under pair of '
2) text strings for the new name of the file delimited with ' and ,

e.g. in one row there is:

'E:\Books 5\OpenGL\OpenGL.Distilled.Feb.2006.chm','978-0-321-33679-8','Opengl Distilled','Paul Martz'

This means that in the path "E:\Books 5\OpenGL\" there is a file "OpenGL.Distilled.Feb.2006.chm" which I want to rename to '978-0-321-33679-8','Opengl Distilled','Paul Martz'.chm (note that extension should not change)

The new file should be moved to another folder which should be separately specified (common folder for all the files in the input file).

kind regards

P.S. If BRU cannot do that does anyone know another file renaming application which can? Can anyone tell me the easiest/simplest way to process the txt file to achieve what I want with BRU? Can a RegEx formula help?
HadronX

Re: Input Txt file problem

Postby Jane » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:51 pm

This is not a normal renaming task that most renaming programs are designed for.
I think this could be solved with a regex in a few lines of Perl.
However, I guess if you knew Perl you would have solved it already.
If this involves a huge number of files, I may be able to help. Send a reply to private message so we don't muddy this forum with non BRU issues.

Jane
Jane

Return to General Comments