Did BRU remove files when renaming folder??

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Did BRU remove files when renaming folder??

Postby tmcoo11 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:15 pm

I have used BRU many times over the years without problem, but today....

I renamed folders by adding a prefix (2014_ on to 01 to make 2014_01) etc

When I did this I think BRU have moved or deleted the files within the folder as I can no longer find them. Each folder I changed has a suspicious zero bytes within. I am quite sure many of the folders had files as they are a photo album.

I only selected Add Prefix (7) and in Selections (12) unticked files to only seek * folders.

Did i make a schoolboy error here?

I guess I can try and recuva isf necessary but if BRU moves these files then it is easier to know where they are!

Thanks anyway if anyone has any guidance, even if to just say, dozey fool, of course BRU did XYZ..

T
tmcoo11

Re: Did BRU remove files when renaming folder??

Postby Luuk » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:43 pm

If only renaming the folders, then bru could never delete any of the files or overwrite them.
Also, it wont even rename a folder if the folder-name does already exist, even with both folders being empty!

The only way to overwrite the files is by giving them the same-name, but first you would have to go into the menu, and ...
Remove the checkmark from "Renaming Options, Prevent Duplicates", then add a checkmark to "Advanced Options, Allow Overwrite".
But even after setting these options, the bru will always present a warning about the "Allow Overwrite" setting!

If to be certain about where the files were settled, I would try the recuva.exe, to make sure something else doesnt delete them.
Because one time a hacker does delete all of my files, and he wasnt even trying to earn the ransome money.
Luuk

Re: Did BRU remove files when renaming folder??

Postby tmcoo11 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:03 pm

Thanks Luuk

I cannot pin it but i feel that files were lost.

Anyway, running a Recuva just in case
tmcoo11

Return to General Comments