Slow scrolling

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Slow scrolling

Postby PSUHammer » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:19 pm

I have a few folders with over 1000 photos in them. I open them in BRU and find that scrolling through them is SLOOOOOWWWWWW. As if my PC is slowly caching every line for every photo. Obviously, :?: this is not a problem in Windows Explorer, even with thumbnails.

It can't be my PC. I have an Intel i9-12900K, 32gb RAM and a 2tb WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD. Basically, a monster. This performance is similar to my 4-year-old i7 PC with much lower specs which leads me to believe it is something to do with how the app is loading files.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to speed up loading the list of files for the viewing window so I can scroll through them?
PSUHammer

Re: Slow scrolling

Postby PSUHammer » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:20 pm

Just wanted to add that this is one of my favorite utilities and has saved me countless hours! Donating.
PSUHammer

Postby PSUHammer » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:38 pm

Crap...I can't edit posts. Anyway, I did some testing and as I suspected, once the entire list loads in the app, I can freely and normally scroll through the list. It indeed appears as though the initial view load of a folder is caching the view in memory.

Also, if I click off the folder to another on the left-hand tree view of the folders, It resets the view and I have to load all the files again once I reselect that original folder.

To give you an idea of the speed, after it loads the initial batch of files (20ish on my monitor), I start spinning the mouse wheel down and it loads 2-3 files per second. You can do the math for 1000+ photos to see how long that would take.
PSUHammer

Postby therube » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:10 pm

On my end; Win7, i7-3770s, 8 GB RAM, SSD...

I selected a directory with 100,000 files in it.

Looks like...

reads the files
populates the viewport
then (in my case, also) selects all the files
(bottom left, statusbar, shows a count as this is happening)

Note: I am NOT reading any meta-data from the files.

All this happens relatively quickly (given the number) of files.
During this time; reading & selecting, there is no scrolling available.
Once that has finished, scrolling is not an issue.

All of this happens in < 1 minute.
therube

Postby Admin » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:48 am

Hi PSUHammer,

can you check if you have any of the options

ID3 / Exif Data / File Properties > Extract Exif Data
ID3 / Exif Data / File Properties > Extract ID3 Data
ID3 / Exif Data / File Properties > Extract Windows File Properties

enabled ?

thanks
Admin