.BRU file as parameter

Would you like Bulk Rename Command to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

.BRU file as parameter

Postby eop » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:11 pm

Hello. First, thank you for a wonderful set of tools. I have investigated using BRU for my specific need and was able to create a favorite .bru file containing my settings.

Is it possible that I can pass this .bru file as a parameter to BRC32.EXE to have it perform the specified functions?

I understand that I may be able to replicate the settings using command-line options, but using the GUI of BRU is simpler and I can test various settings and immediately see the results previewed. Using Windows Task Scheduler, I would like to be able to call BRC32.EXE using different .bru files at certain times of the day to rename groups of files that get created.

If this is not possible I will have to examine the documentation for BRC more closely and try to recreate the settings I am using in the BRU dialog.
eop

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 am

When I created BRC I looked at doing this, but decided against it as I didn't want to tie the two programs together.

You should find that about 80% of the functionality from BRU is available in BRC, but there some things that exist only in BRU. However, it should be straightforward to get your BRC syntax identified - post here if you're stuck.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eop » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks for the response Jim.

The only thing that I am using in BRU that does not appear in the BRC help file is Numbering. I believe I can work around this using a different method, I just need to wrap my head around it.

Will post a new thread if I need assistance.
eop

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Which type of numbering are you missing? BRC supports /AUTONUMBER

/AUTONUMBER:Start:Increment:Mode:Separator:Base:Pad - this allows you to append an incrementing number to the filename. The parameters are as follows:

Start - the number at which to begin

Increment - how many to increment by each time

Mode - Prefix, Suffix, or Both

Separator - the text to place between the name and the autonumber text. Can be blank.

Base - The base number to use. Normally 10, but can be 2 (binary) to 36. There are also two special bases, 37 and 38, which will cause only letters A-Z to be used.

Pad - you can choose to pad the autonumber. e.g. a pad value of 3 would result in 001, 002, 003, 004 etc.

though it hasn't been updated with some of the recent changes that are in BRU.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eop » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:10 pm

Ah, I see it in the help file now. At the moment I am using Numbering in BRU to simply pad the front with a zero, but it looks like I could do this with Add in BRU (saw Numbering first so I used that) or /INSERT with BRC.

It's a simple sequence of 01-05 with 1-5 being day of week (Mon-Fri) on this particular set of file. Using %w in Auto Date gets me this and it looks to be supported in BRC. Wow, there are just so many ways to do this..I think even "0%w" would pad the zero in there so I don't even need Numbering.

I don't have time to test right now, but I imagine I should have the proper syntax and automation in Task Scheduler worked out within a few minutes when I can get away from other projects. Thanks again!
eop

Return to Suggestions