The System cannot find the file specified

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

The System cannot find the file specified

Postby schul155 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:55 pm

I have a huge inherited problem that has illegally named files in a windows 2008 SBS server. the file names are both annoyingly deep (well over legal limit) and illegally named 'c:\xyz\hahaihaveanextraspace ' I don't know how these were originally made but I know it has to do with a mixed mac environment and potentially mismanaged conversion from mac server. I was hoping to use trim with BRC to handle the second part of the extra space. However when I do run it, I get a message
error message
Bulk Rename Utility
Item 'C:\xxx\xxx\xxx x\yyy\board notes ' could not be renamed.
Error Code: the System cannot find the file specified

Ignore this error and continue processing?

This is accessed through the GUI and selecting the files manually and trying to rename with the option Remove (5) Trim being the only selection

Any help would be great!!! Thanks!
schul155

Re: The System cannot find the file specified

Postby audiogalaxy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 pm

schul155 wrote:I have a huge inherited problem that has illegally named files in a windows 2008 SBS server. the file names are both annoyingly deep (well over legal limit) and illegally named 'c:\xyz\hahaihaveanextraspace ' I don't know how these were originally made but I know it has to do with a mixed mac environment and potentially mismanaged conversion from mac server. I was hoping to use trim with BRC to handle the second part of the extra space. However when I do run it, I get a message
error message
Bulk Rename Utility
Item 'C:\xxx\xxx\xxx x\yyy\board notes ' could not be renamed.
Error Code: the System cannot find the file specified

Ignore this error and continue processing?

This is accessed through the GUI and selecting the files manually and trying to rename with the option Remove (5) Trim being the only selection

Any help would be great!!! Thanks!

Maybe you could help renaming (also temporairly) long director names with very short ones. Acting on a single (the first) part of a path often helps to act on the subsequen part.

If you could rename "c:\xxx\xxx\xxx" as "c:\x\x\x" maybe some operations would become possible.

But i have a question: if the problem is in the spaces ... maybe a /REPLACECI:" ":"_" could help ? It solved me a bunch of problems...
audiogalaxy

Postby nboch » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem as schul155 here.
We got some hard drives to copy to our Windows environement and it was from linux/mac hard drives.
We managed to copy files to our Windows2008Server but then, we are unable to rename it.

I would like to delete the spaces ending names of some folders. (I have more than 40K folders so I cannot do it manually).
The BRU looks like juste perfect but when I try to use the Remove (5) Trim, I get an error.

The only ways I found right now to rename folders manually are using 7zip file manager or doing a "dir /X" in cmd to get the shortname of the folder and then "rename shortname "newnamewithoutspace"

Is there any way I can make it with BRU ? Or another "Bulk" way to do it ? :)
Quick help will be reaaally appreciated ! :)
nboch

Postby truth » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:01 pm

It sounds like 2 separate issues: both illegal-chars and too-many chars in FullPathName ??
The too-many chars issue can be easily fixed with the SUBST command.
Theres an example of its usage at www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1599
Note however, it merely gains access by substituting a DirPath with too many/special chars for a DriveLetter

To actually fix DirNames ending with space, I guess you could try:
brc32 /nofiles /regexp:"(.*) $:\1"
-- or --
BRU 1Regex:
12Folders=Checked
(.*) $
\1

Hope it helps.. Sorry, but I've no way of creating such DirNames for testing.
I've a feeling it will fail because of preceeding special chars that prevent the match?
truth

Postby nboch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:09 am

Many thanks for your answer,
Unfortunately, I had no more test environment, so I cannot try with RegEx.
But... I've finished to do it, after spending hours and hours through my thousands folders..

BRU helped me a lot in locating folders that had to be renamed. I then renamed it with 7zip file manager.
nboch

Return to BRC Support