selecting one char, space, and wildcard

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

selecting one char, space, and wildcard

Postby audiogalaxy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Hallo,

I need to select files that will be rename, using /pattern , I think, if i don't want brc to parse all the files in the current directory (or recurse):

my problem is that my selection would be "all the files starting with ONE character, than space, than something else"

something like "? *.*"

but this doesn't work.

I have also noticed that the only way to work with multiple extensions is to use "

for example "*.doc *.xls" works: it selects all word and excel documents.

But I need another type of selection... could someone help?
audiogalaxy

Space cant be matched by /pattern, use /regexp

Postby truth » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 am

Unfortunately, /pattern: assumes that space separates NextPatternMatch (so it cant match a space)
But your goal of filtering which filenames are matched is easily handled with regex matching

Assuming that your 1st selection should only match filenames as: A Filename-whatever
You would begin with /regexp:"A " to match filenames starting as A (no others can be renamed)
You can use multiple /regexp on the same commandline, so you could follow that with your next /regexp:match:replace

Just remember they execute in the order spec'd, so be aware of renames that could be matched by upcoming /regexps
Thats the general idea, cant be any more specific without details on your rename preferences
truth

Return to BRC Support