Error starting program

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Error starting program

Postby Pudah » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:55 pm

I wanted to try out your Bulk Rename Command line utility on my Windows 98SE system. I downloaded the file at the http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Incl ... =412246023 link, which is labeled as "Bulk Rename Command, ANSI Build 1.3.3.0, for Windows 98/ME. 416,019 Bytes" on the Download page ( http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php ).

Inside the BRC_ANSI.zip file is BRC32.exe for which properties show Version 1,3,3,0 268,288 bytes file dated Tues Jun 3rd 2008, 12:38:24PM.

When I run this program in an MS-DOS box on a win98 system, I get an error message indicating that it expects a newer version of Windows.

Is the version linked to on the download page the correct version for Windows 98SE?
Pudah

Re: Error starting program

Postby Admin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry for the confusion. When I updated BRC to 1.3.3.0 earlier this month I meant to remove the Win98 version from the webpage, but clearly I forgot.

Unfortunately there's no Win98 version available now, Win98 is simply too old to support.

Sorry about that.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pudah » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:29 pm

While I am a bit bummed by your answer, I do appreciate the prompt reply. Thanks much.
Pudah

Postby jarhtmd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:46 am

I just downloaded BRC 1.3.3.0 & am having some problems running. I'm using WinXP.

1. I have to enter brc32.exe to run (not brc.exe as shown in the manual)

2. Since it's not mentioned in the manual, I assume it makes no difference if commands are on the same or separate lines. I've tried on both. Neither worked.

3. Even a single command brc32.exe /dir c:\brctest gives the error "one or more arguments were invalid. Rename aborted." EDIT: I found my problem here . . . it should be /dir:

4. When I do get things working properly, is there a way to direct the output to a file, so that the output (that /QUIET will suppress) can be captured?

5. I haven't used DOS in years. Is there a suggested location for brc32.exe? Can it be copied there "alone" or do other files need to be copied too? I have a file structure like: c:\My Data\Downloaded Files\Installed Downloads\Utilities\specific application\etc . . . My working data files also often have deeply embedded folder/subfolder structures. I'm trying to set up a .bat file to maneuver to the folder containing brc32.exe, execute from there reaching into whatever folder contains the files to rename. I suppose I could always cut/paste to c:\brcwork, run brc & cut/paste back . . . but that seems like a lot of hoops to jump thru. Any suggestions for a "clean & simple" approach? Anybody got a basic skeleton bat file that I could copy & substitute my path names?
jarhtmd

Postby Admin » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am

BRC32.exe can be situated anywhere on your computer. If you want to execture it from anywhere then it needs to be somewhere in your PATH. If you wish to change your PATH variable then you can do this via Control Panel.

Everything for the utility is held in the one file (BRC32.exe) however if you want to use Regular Expressions then you also need the accompanying .DLL file.

Finally, to redirect output just use the standard DOS facilities, e.g.

BRC32 /dir:C:\ > C:\MyOutput.txt

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRC Support