/Pattern Case sensitive and extension to lowercase

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

/Pattern Case sensitive and extension to lowercase

Postby Gagagaga » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi, first thanks for the command line tool!

But I wonder if am stupid, or the tool is ....

1) I have not found any option to change the extension of files to lowercase. Is this really not possible in a tool called 'BULK RENAME UTILITY'?

2) I use /pattern to rename files (media files, jpg, gif, png, etc.) to the folder name and noticed that this is CASE SENSITIVE - and there seems to be no switch to shut off case sensitivity. So if one wants to catch all jpg files he needs to specify ALL possible permutations of Upper and Lower case just to catch all jpgs. jpg, Jpg, jPg, jpG, and so on, for each 3 charachter extension this means 8 (EIGHT!!!!!!!) pattern entries. If one has lets say 10 different file types of 3 character extensions this would mean 80 permutations in pattern. Am I getting something wrong? Are we speaking of BULK rename? The code to fix this is ONE (1) function tolower(c). I notice this has been discussed for 10 years or more. What is the reason that a) the user documentation does not mention this completely unexpected behavior? A tool calling itself 'BULK RENAME UTILITY' cannot even grab files regardless of the characters case.

br, gagagaga
Gagagaga

Re: /Pattern Case sensitive and extension to lowercase

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 am

Hi , Use: Extension (11) -> lower to change extension to lower case.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby therube » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 am

1) /CHANGEEXTCASE:L

2) /PATTERN is case sensitive. But if you did 1) first... might work.

(PS: Thread belongs in BRC forum.)
therube

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Ah yes!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby noni » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:56 pm

Since /PATTERN is case-sensitive, therube previously answered elsewhere in 2022 that /PATTERN accepts multiple space separated values.

This option works very well for finding multiply-cased extensions so they can be renamed to *.txt

/PATTERN:"*.TXT *.Txt *.tXt *.txT *.TXt *.tXT *.TxT"

Thanks therube for pointing this out!
noni

Return to BRC Support