Rename files in hidden folders, One other topic

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Rename files in hidden folders, One other topic

Postby jeffkelly » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:38 am

Hello,

I have a Buffalo TeraStation that uses a Linux kernel. Folder management on the device is done by the TeraStation's web console. The upside is cheap storage, the downside is folders are invisible to a Windows computer -- although the folders can be browsed if I know the path. Windows cannot map a drive letter to the root of the TeraStation...only subfolders. The TeraStation creates all folders off the root (of course).

I have about 50 hidden folders on the TeraStation containing text files I want to rename and move to a single folder on a Windows computer (for easy browsing). I have BRC working with the following syntax:

C:\BRC_Unicode_32>brc32 /dir:"\\192.168.1.25\testfolder$" /pattern:"*.txt" /removefirstn:11 /prefix:test_BU_ /execute

Here's what I want if possible -- but if not, the above works fine...I'll just have to write the command 50 times in a batch file to change the source directory....and manage it when directory names change.

1. Read some or all of the parent folder name and use it in the new file name. The directory name is being manually added as a prefix in the above syntax. Automating it would make life easier.
2. Recursively apply the renaming batch to all hidden folders on the TeraStation. It might be tough since Windows cannot see the folders.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
jeffkelly

Rename files in hidden folders One other topic

Postby Karapaz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:05 am

I did some more reading...and now I have even more questions.

First, my idea is the following:

I could batch-rename all my files to

01 - Album - Title.mp2
02 - Album - Title.mp3

instead of

01 - Band - Title.mp2
02 - Band - Title.mp3

This would make it impossible for 2 files to have the exact same name while right now it actually is possible, although very unlikely - since my files are perfectly tagged, the renaming is dead easy with an id3tagger like easytag and only takes some clicks.

But then Id still have the 30 characters problem...

Is there a script that lists files that are longer than 30 characters? Or one that shortens them automatically?

One of my albums is called "Decksanddrumsandrocknroll" so Id prolly end up with filenames longer than 30 characters... o.O
Karapaz

Re: // One other topic

Postby audiogalaxy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 am

Karapaz wrote:
First, my idea is the following:

I could batch-rename all my files to

01 - Album - Title.mp2
02 - Album - Title.mp3

instead of

01 - Band - Title.mp2
02 - Band - Title.mp3

This would make it impossible for 2 files to have the exact same name while right now it actually is possible, although very unlikely - since my files are perfectly tagged, the renaming is dead easy with an id3tagger like easytag and only takes some clicks.

But then Id still have the 30 characters problem...

Is there a script that lists files that are longer than 30 characters? Or one that shortens them automatically?

not a script:

http://www.dcsoft.com/products/longff/longff.htm

or, of course, you can do this:

Code: Select all
brc /REMOVEFROMTO:31:200

(of course with /execute)

this cuts from char n. 31 on.

Or, if you're very inspired, and you really want the list, you can execute the above command WITHOUT the "/execute" parameter, piping to (using the > character) a text file and then use the os "FIND" or "FINDSTR" commands to select the lines in which the "would be renamed" sentence is found and ... bla bla blah. Do you want this? ;)

Karapaz wrote:
One of my albums is called "Decksanddrumsandrocknroll" so Id prolly end up with filenames longer than 30 characters... o.O

sorry, i don't understand this last sentence.

HTH!
audiogalaxy

Return to BRC Support