Adding text to a title of a zip'ed file

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Adding text to a title of a zip'ed file

Postby virg@virgjones.com » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 am

I have zip files that are named after the folder that they reside in located in numerous folders. I would like to be able to add to the title so as to be more specific of what is in the file (i.e. I would like to add the text "_color_details.zip"). I have tried everything I could think of to no avail. Can anyone give me a little shove in the right direction.

Thanks
virg@virgjones.com

Re: Adding text to a title of a zip'ed file

Postby audiogalaxy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:26 am

virg@virgjones.com wrote:I have zip files that are named after the folder that they reside in located in numerous folders. I would like to be able to add to the title so as to be more specific of what is in the file (i.e. I would like to add the text "_color_details.zip"). I have tried everything I could think of to no avail. Can anyone give me a little shove in the right direction.

Thanks

Hi virg.

let us understand well your scenario.

you have something like:

C:\yada\yada\foo\foo.zip
C:\yippeee\bar\bar.zip

and you want to rename these zip files in something like

C:\yada\yada\foo\foo_somethingusefulforyou.zip
C:\yippeee\bar\bar_somethingthatonlyahumancouldunderstand.zip

am I right?

If am I right, you have to ask yourself how can BRC extract automatically something ...

You can of course select the "*.zip" files.
Maybe you can use some date-info to rename files ... but the "what's in" your zip file is not a job for BRC, i think.

Maybe you can do some complex batch scripting to extract the list of the files using other commandline programs, like 7zip (7za for commandline) ... but also in that situation you have to choose "something" that have to become your text.

Then you have to dinamically compose a batch ... bla bla blah ... too complex, isn't it?

Tell us if I've understand well, or not.

HTH!
audiogalaxy

Return to BRC Support