Batch process selected files only

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Batch process selected files only

Postby notw » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm using batch files to handle renaming. By right clicking on a file I'm able to select the batch desired to run. When this is done all files in the current folder are processed. How can I have the renamer to restict itself to the selected files rather than all files in the folder?

Thanks
notw

Re: Batch process selected files only

Postby audiogalaxy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:08 am

notw wrote:I'm using batch files to handle renaming. By right clicking on a file I'm able to select the batch desired to run. When this is done all files in the current folder are processed. How can I have the renamer to restict itself to the selected files rather than all files in the folder?

Thanks

BRC is not a gui-friendly program: the selection of "what to act on" is implied in its use and syntax. If you are able to tell "how to match" the files you want to act on then you are able to do what you're requesting.

If you're using the "send to" windows functionality, you have to understand well how the OS passes the filenames list.

example: in a list with

something001.jpg
something002.jpg
something003.jpg
something004.jpg
something005.jpg
something006.jpg

If you are selecting the first 3 files, then right clickin on them, then sending-to <your_batch> (that's equivalent to drag these files and drop them to the batch file) , maybe the OS runs something like this:

your_batch FULL_ABSOLUTE_PATH\something001.jpg FULL_ABSOLUTE_PATH\something002.jpg FULL_ABSOLUTE_PATH\something003.jpg
And this is umpredictable to handle ... because you have to run your batch for each %N of your param list.

Maybe a "for" command can manage this... but i don't know if there is a limit of %1 %2 %3 ... %99 %400 ...

so, if you love clickin, the fastest way to do what you want is:

select
CLTR-X
rightclick and create a new folder
doubleENTER and you are in
CTRL-V and you have your selection in the new folder
then right click and execute your batch

rename done.

Now you can move back the files on previous container.

HTH!
audiogalaxy

Return to BRC Support