F5 (Refresh Tree) - 'My Web Sites on MSN' persists

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Postby therube » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:07 pm

When you do an F5, the 'My Web Sites on MSN' (or some other folder) persists.

Win10 1809x64
BRU 3300 x86

Seems on Win10 [at least what I'm looking at now], when you open BRU, Tree defaults to 'This PC', & 'My Web Sites on MSN' [I have no idea what that is] shows in the File List.

The problem with this is that if you drag files into BRU, those files are appended to what was there before, & what was there before was 'My Web Sites on MSN'. And if you then Ctrl+A, to select all files, 'My Web Sites on MSN' also ends up being selected. Not something one would want.

It would be nice, if when BRU was opened, nothing pre-populated the file list.

(This issue does not occur on Win7.
Earlier thread, similar situation that occurred on WinXP, F5 (Refresh Tree) - Documents persists.)
therube

Re: F5 (Refresh Tree) - 'My Web Sites on MSN' persists

Postby therube » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Image, as it was, from the linked thread, under WinXP.
It would be similar in Win10, except instead of saying "Documents" it says "My Web Sites on MSN".

therube

Postby Growltiger » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:21 pm

You have installed some MSN software on your computer. It does various annoying things, one of which is interfering with File Explorer. This is what is upsetting BRU, it isn't really BRU's problem.
You may have added the software as a toolbar or plugin to a browser. So check Control Panel/Programs and Features, also check each browser for its Addons. Get rid of the wretched thing and all will be well.
The reason it seems to be specific to Win 10 is that you didn't install it on the older systems.
Growltiger

Postby therube » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm

I've now looked on 3 Win10 machines.
One an "upgrade" from Win8 (I think it was), the other two retail PCs (Dell, HP) all of various vintage, all with varying Win10 builds.

All show "My Web Sites on MSN".
therube

Postby Growltiger » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:26 pm

I have five Win 10 systems. I have looked at all of them and there is no trace on any of them of "My websites on MSN". I searched every file and folder on the system.
It looks like it may have come from an earlier version of Windows.
Here are some links that may help:
http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php?84275-How-to-get-rid-of-quot-My-Web-Sites-on-MSN-quot-from-windows-exploer-in-win2k
https://answers.msn.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=115dc6c5-4ae7-4e38-8e0b-3eac07d020fa

Have you tried simply deleting it?
Growltiger

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:13 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22my+web+sites+on+msn%22

The My Web Sites on MSN folder is added to My Network Places (and appears in common dialog boxes) after you use the Web Publishing Wizard or the Add Network Place Wizard to create or add files to your MSN Web site. Microsoft offers free storage on the MSN Web site for Passport customers. If you do not have a Passport, you are prompted to create an account when you use the Web Publishing Wizard or the Add Network Place Wizard. If you are not signed in with your Passport account, you are prompted to sign in when you open the "My Web Sites on MSN" folder. A Passport account allows Microsoft to map your files to your security-enhanced Passport account, which helps add security and privacy to your files and makes sure that no one else can access your files. (Quelle: "My Web Sites on MSN" Folder May Be Empty in the Save As Dialog Box).

Above from 2013

But there are also entries related to malware on Google.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby therube » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Seems that anything that happens to be within:
Code: Select all
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

will be shown, in a default open of BRU, be it a file(s) or subdirectory(s).

therube

Return to BRU Support