MP3 (ID3) Tags

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

MP3 (ID3) Tags

Postby therube » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:34 pm

MP3 (ID3) Tags
BRU 3310

V2 are not supported
An (ID3 V1) MP3 that does not have a Track No is assigned, 32.
An MP3 that does not have a V1 ID3, but only a V2 ID3, is assigned some (seemingly) random (perhaps 9-digit minimum) number.
A file that is not an MP3 (I suppose it is) is assigned a Track No of 0.

Just stating.
Should a file with no Track No be assigned anything at all or simply left blank?
As ID3 V2 is not supported, certainly nothing should be picked up as the Track No (%k).
(In particular when you have a directory with a mishmosh of types of Tags, & you've selected them all in BRU.
Similarly I'd think there would be no reason to assign 0 to a not MP3.)
therube

Re: MP3 (ID3) Tags

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks, we will review ID3 tags in the next release.
Question: Windows File Properties are now supported by Bulk Rename Utility. Does that help, i.e. are MP3 attributes listed in the Windows File Properties?
thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Growltiger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:23 pm

I used Win 10 File Explorer to look at the file properties of an mp3 file which has all the tags set to values.
Under the File Explorer details tab there is the heading "Media" and under that it shows several fields:
  • Contributing artists
  • Album artist
  • Album
  • Year
  • # (this means the track number)
  • Genre
  • Length
You asked if this data can be made visible in BRU 3310.
So in BRU I went to Renaming Options, then ticked Extract ID3 data, and then refreshed and then showed all the columns.
The Length column shows some varying numbers which do not seem to mean anything much, for example a length of 9 minutes 29 seconds is shown as a length of 49.
The Track number column always shows 0, and not the actual track numbers.
None of the other columns are shown at all.
I then tried again after ticking the box against Extract Windows File Properties, and then refreshed again. That made no difference, the same data was displayed.

So BRU cannot display the media properties displayed by Windows when looking at the file properties.

I strongly recommend you install mp3tag if you are doing anything at all with this type of data, whether looking at it, experimenting with changing it etc.
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html
You right-click the folder and run mp3tag. It shows you everything and you can change anything.

I hope this helps.
Growltiger

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi, thanks, try selecting Show File Properties in BRU for an MP3, i.e. right-click on a file in the file list and select from the menu.
The listed attributes can be used as tags in Add(7), see details in help, please.
BRU will not show the attributes in the file list (too many) but they can be used as tags and will be shown in the 'New Name' column and preview.
thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Growltiger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 pm

I think I partly understand.
I tried right-click on a file and then Show List of File Properties. That gives me a good list of all the properties, including all the media items shown in Windows File Properties. This includes for example the correct track number and it names that field in the right-hand column as System.Music.TrackNumber
However I can see no way to use that under Add(7)?
I read the help and it says I can use %k that that gives a result of 00. The help doesn't list many of the mpt tags.
I also tried %System.Music.TrackNumber but that does't work. And %# doesn't work either.
I also tried one that isn't related to mp3, %System.Size and that doesn't work either.
I cannot have understood you correctly?
Growltiger

Postby Growltiger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 pm

OK I figured it out now, having found another page in the help system.
I did the extract for the Windows File Properties, refreshed, and then put <(System.Music.TrackNumber)> in the suffix box in Add(7) and it works - I get the correct track number!
So it does work. Although I think a beginner would find this a bit tricky to work out. It isn't intuitive that one doesn't select Extract ID3 data.
Growltiger

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:15 am

Yes, you can use all of the Windows File Properties to rename a file in add(7) by means of tags.
The newer tags are now using < > because these are invalid chars for file names so they do not conflict.
So basically you can use all Windows File Properties to rename files, including Title and other for Word / Powerpoint / Video tags etc
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support