BRU wont rename file

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU wont rename file

Postby mamaijee » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:46 am

I am trying to change the case of some of the words in a file name. I used "Case 4 - Title", in order to do so.
e.g
If file name is Tom Brown - All BAKED PUDDING Recipes, I am able to rename it to Tom Brown - All Baked Pudding Recipes.
After I click on rename it says one file has been renamed but when I go back to Explorer the name is still the old one with caps!
Where is my mistake? I have lots of files with caps all over the place and would like them all to be consistent.
Pls help
Thank u
mamaijee
mamaijee

Re: BRU wont rename file

Postby therube » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:31 am

Are you sure you told BRU to actually 'Rename' ?

Are you sure the file you're looking at on disk is the file you've renamed?
therube

Postby mamaijee » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

"re you sure you told BRU to actually 'Rename' ?"
Yes I did. In fact I did it again today thinking that maybe there was a glitch in the system which would get solved when I shut the PC overnight! But still the words which have uppercase still remain the same.

"
Are you sure the file you're looking at on disk is the file you've renamed?"
Yes
mamaijee

Postby therube » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Enable logging if it is not - Renaming Options -> Log...

Rename your file, "Tom Brown - All BAKED PUDDING Recipes".
Post the contents of your log file here (the entries related to tom brown).

(Then disable the logging if you no longer need it.)
therube

Postby mamaijee » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Here is the log file

12/06/2020 9:21:44 PM - Renamed "C:\Users\Meher_shroff\Documents\1 Cookery\Website Favourites\Tom Brown - ALL BAKED PUDDING Recipes.epub" to "C:\Users\Meher_shroff\Documents\1 Cookery\Website Favourites\Tom Brown - All Baked Pudding Recipes.epub"
mamaijee

Postby Admin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:36 am

Are you checking the same file in Windows Explorer?

That is in
C:\Users\Meher_shroff\Documents\1 Cookery\Website Favourites\
?

Could another program be restoring the original version?

Also try to rename a test file in complete different location e.g. c:\test\testfile.txt
Admin
Site Admin

Postby mamaijee » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:15 pm

I did a google search and found this is not a BRU problem but a Windows 10 problem! The answer I got from many websites was in general:

"This is a long known issue for many versions of Windows, this happens because in the background, files names are case insensitive and Windows ignores case . . .

......rest assured, there is nothing wrong with your system, this is just a known bug that has been around forever and has not been addressed by Microsoft "
The solution was that in BRU after selecting the Title Case one also has to add a Suffix to the filename. I chose to add = at the end. Then I did Rename and then the name changed as I wanted in Explorer, albeit with a = at the end. The = does not bother me so I left it there, but if u want you can go back in and change it.

I am sorry I put you through all the trouble thingking it was a BRU problem and many thanks for all your efforts.

Best wishes
mamaijee
mamaijee

Return to BRU Support