Append number to name, increasing on every other item

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Append number to name, increasing on every other item

Postby sixtopia » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi! I've been using BRU for a few months now and love it. It solves most of my problems, but there is one thing I can't seem to figure out. I would like to rename a list of files with an appended number, but NOT in the sequential order as displayed in the list. For example, take this list of files, in the format <original_filename> -> <new_filename>:

• Pizza -> Pizza1
  • Apple -> Apple3
  • Banana -> Banana2
  • Potato -> Potato4

I have two possible solutions in mind that I would like to know if are possible:
  1. Using modulo to affect Numbering (12) order
  2. Increment the number based the order I select the files. So I would CTRL+Click the files in this order to achieve the result: Pizza, Banana, Apple, Potato

Please let me know of either of my two solutions are possible, or if there is another way to produce this result. Thank you.
sixtopia

Re: Append number to name, increasing on every other item

Postby therube » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:03 pm

Ctrl+Click would work.

If your source files were displayed in the "numeric" order you'd want them at, then you could drag&drop the names into BRU (which would not sort them, by default).

So if you had:

Pizza
Banana
Apple
Potato

& selected that set of files & d&d them into BRU, they would remain ordered like that, then simply 10:Numbering -> Suffix:

Pizza1
Banana2
Apple3
Potato4

Named Pairs, I'm not sure offhand, but experiment & see what that does for you?
therube

Postby sixtopia » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:17 pm

therube wrote:Ctrl+Click would work.

If your source files were displayed in the "numeric" order you'd want them at, then you could drag&drop the names into BRU (which would not sort them, by default).

So if you had:

Pizza
Banana
Apple
Potato

& selected that set of files & d&d them into BRU, they would remain ordered like that, then simply 10:Numbering -> Suffix:

Pizza1
Banana2
Apple3
Potato4

Named Pairs, I'm not sure offhand, but experiment & see what that does for you?

Thanks for the reply. My source files are not displayed in the order I want. With that being said, Ctrl+Click doesn't seem to be doing it. Files "higher" on the list of files displayed in BRU are automatically updated to a lower number when I click on them, instead of retaining the file's number of the order in which it was clicked.
sixtopia

Postby therube » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Ctrl+Click doesn't seem to be doing it.

Ah, you're right.
If you were going down the list, top down, sequentially, then it would.
But if click "out of order", clicking a lower listed item, then clicking a higher listed item, then it won't work.
therube

Postby sixtopia » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:36 pm

For now I'm going to use the Reposition function in the Actions -> List menu to rearrange the files in the list to my desired order, then the Numbering (12) sequential order will do the job. It's tedious but fine for my case (~25 files). Would like to see a better solution for large file counts though if possible.
sixtopia

Return to BRU Support