Checksum Options

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Checksum Options

Postby shhac » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:15 pm

The ability to add the files checksum (e.g. CRC32 or MD5) in the file name, just before the file extention would be pretty useful for me.
Especially if there was the options for things like "normal/square brackets around checksum" or "(no) space proceeding checksum", or a "replace file name completely (includung/excluding file extention)".

I understand that these types of options would require a lot more processing time to do than the currently avalible ones (so it should only be calculated when its used, not for everything), and depedning on the language BRU is written in, providing these features may require alot of coding, but this is the suggestions category so I thought I'd share the idea anyway.
shhac

Re: Checksum Options

Postby lichttraeger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:37 am

Yes, a checksum renaming option would be nice (if it is possible also for the command line version). It seems that an other renaming tool named PFrank (http://www3.telus.net/pfrank/) can rename files based on their checksums.
lichttraeger

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Just for my own understanding, why would this be a useful feature? I've only ever used checksums occasionally, to verify large .ISO downloads, and even then the checksum is normally in a separate file.

I'm not dismissing the requests, I just can't see why anyone would want to put a checksum in the filename.

Cheers,

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby lichttraeger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:37 pm

But it may be useful if you for example collect and store files and you want to have also the checksum in the filename. Ok i know this sounds strange and the renamed files probably look not really nice with a checksum in their names, but for users that just need increasing count numbers and/or checksum in their filenames it is enough. It is not really a must have (as i think), but it would be a nice feature :roll:
lichttraeger

Postby megadeth86 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am

i just wrote a script so i can rename files by their md5 checksum

set /p directory=
FOR /R %directory% %%a IN (*.jpg) DO (for /f "skip=3" %%b in ('fciv.exe "%%a"') do rename "%%a" "00%%b%%~xa" || if exist "00%%b%%~xa" delete "%%a")

you have to download the FCIV.exe file here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290

also.. it would be great to have this functionality in BRU. It's pretty much the ultimate way to differentiate a large number of files.
megadeth86

Return to Suggestions