MediaInfo not working

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

MediaInfo not working

Postby klamakloma » Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:19 am

I downloaded the MediaInfo DLL extension, copied the files to the BRU folder and... it did nothing. I expected MediaInfo properties to show up when I clicked on "Show List of File Properties" on one of my videos, but only the System ones appeared. The video in question has an encoding date of 2001-05-05, which shows up when using MediaInfo normally on my PC, but in BRU neither the encoding date or anything MediaInfo related shows up in its properties.
klamakloma
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:12 am

Re: MediaInfo not working

Postby therube » Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:23 pm

IGNORE (what I wrote). IT IS TOTALLY WRONG.
You need the specific dll's linked to in the Admin's post, below.

The MediaInfo.dll needs to be the same bitness as the 'Bulk Rename Utility.exe' that you are running.

MediaInfo.dll needs to be named "MediaInfo.dll".
MediaInfo.dll needs to be in the same directory where 'Bulk Rename Utility.exe' is found.


MediaInfo has separate downloads for 32 & 64-bit DLL's.
(I've never used the installer, so I don't know what that does. I've only ever used the zip/7z & simply extracted the .dll from the archive.)
And again, you need the appropriate bitness to correspond with what BRU itself is.
MediaInfo DLL downloads
Last edited by therube on Wed Sep 30, 2026 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
therube
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: MediaInfo not working

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:32 pm

Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3194
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:39 pm

Re: MediaInfo not working

Postby klamakloma » Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:03 pm

I downloaded the 64bit version of MediaInfo from mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows, then I downloaded the DLL extension from bulkrenameutility.co.uk/dll.php. I made sure I was using the 64bit version of both that and BRU. Renamed MediaInfo64.dll to MediaInfo.dll, put it in the same folder as Bulk Rename Utility.exe. Nothing.

Deleted everything, did a clean install, made once again sure I had the 64bit version of both, renamed MediaInfo64.dll to MediaInfo.dll, put it in the same folder as Bulk Rename Utility.exe. Nothing.

Restarted PC, maybe that would make a difference? Nope. Nothing.

I can't figure this out. I'm using Windows 10, could it be a problem with the OS, somehow?
klamakloma
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:12 am

Re: MediaInfo not working

Postby klamakloma » Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:15 pm

EDIT: Working now. I just renamed the file back to MediaInfo64.dll.
klamakloma
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:12 am

Re: MediaInfo not working

Postby klamakloma » Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:20 pm

Seems to work on all filetypes with the unfortunate exception of .ASF video files from the early 2000s. I checked and they 100% have MediaInfo data when viewed on other programs, but not BRU.
klamakloma
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:12 am

Re: MediaInfo not working

Postby therube » Thu Oct 01, 2026 3:53 pm

Confirmed (looking at it, very quickly).
If I take the very same .asf & rename it to .asf.wmv, then BRU does see the the MediaInfo:* "tags".


Sample file in this post, BigBuckBunny.7z.

In there (among others) is (name abbreviated) "133_BigBuckBunny.294._...294.asf".
(The file names are purposely long, but you can simply shorten it to whatever you want.)

"133.asf", in BRU, does not show MediaInfo:* tags

Simply rename (or copy & rename) the file to ".wmv".

"133.asf.wmv", in BRU, does show the MediaInfo:* tags
therube
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:23 pm


Return to BRU Support